Gold/Albino Jack Dempsey

Tahn

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Dec 5, 2016
Central NJ
My 29G Silver Datnoid Tank is now a gold/albino Jack Dempsey tank, after my research consistently told me silver dats thrive in brackish, I gave him to a friend of mine who is experienced in keeping dats. Now behold, my new Jack Dempsey that will spend his forseeable future life in this 29G. Who knows how to sex JD's?

Currently fat cause he just ate. He had a gap in his dorsal fin at LFS, anyone know if it will grow back?

Reactions: YankeeJack

RedRaven

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Aug 8, 2017
as in regular jds the blue along the jawline usually indicates that it would be female

Reactions: Niki_up

YankeeJack

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 3, 2013
USA
Agree, you got a nice female! She looks fat and ready for a spawn!

Nice pics!

Ya, the fin will grow back. It might take a little time.

KellyQ68

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 2, 2018
Maryland
I know this is an old thread, but hoping someone sees this and can offer an opinion. I bought this fish online, listing was for an “electric pink” JD. the picture posted was of a fish this color with pink striping similar to the electric blue JD. they contacted me before shipping to say they only had a female without the striping- and I told them not to send it. Well, they did anyway... so more to my point, I’m thinking what I have here is an albino/gold JD. As it’s maturing it seems to be developing more gold in the body and fins, though these pics may not show that. I’ll try to get an updated pic if anyone sees this and responds. Opinions?

8E59FCBC-8377-4D33-8EDE-ADD338BFB6D1.jpeg 99510A1A-951B-4AB2-B04F-F9D3E905979F.jpeg

Reactions: Deadliestviper7

KellyQ68

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 2, 2018
Maryland
If your asking sex, looks male.
Thanks - I was leaning that direction too. This pic belongs with question above asking For opinions on whether this was actually a gold/albino. It was sold to me as an “electric pink” JD. Thanks again for your reply!

ryansmith83

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 2, 2008
Florida
It’s not an albino fish because it does not have red pupils. Albino fish lack black pigment and therefore do not have black eyes. It’s likely leucistic.

There’s no real standard for naming JDs, a seller can call them whatever they want. One person’s gold might be another person’s electric pink.

KellyQ68

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 2, 2018
Maryland
It’s not an albino fish because it does not have red pupils. Albino fish lack black pigment and therefore do not have black eyes. It’s likely leucistic.

There’s no real standard for naming JDs, a seller can call them whatever they want. One person’s gold might be another person’s electric pink.
Thank you!! I was trying to remember the term leicistic so I could do some more research on it. In any case I feel like he’s a great addition to my dempsey tank and I. Retrospect glad I got him. Thanks again!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store