Gold Fish in Koi Pond

Poseidon2.0

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Mar 23, 2015
Brooklyn, NY, USA.
Yes. Absolutely. We did it for years in our 12' pond outside. We separated them though in the winter when we brought them indoors (this was in Canada). Our koi were 24" long so had to be housed in a separate tank in the winter for reasons of space and health of the fish, not compatibility.

Reactions: MrsE88 and tlindsey

MrsE88

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 9, 2017
Yes. Both can be kept in the same pond. If you decide to have fancy goldfish then it’s better to keep them separate. I was able to keep fancies with my koi for a few years till I ended up losing one. I’m pretty sure a spooked koi damaged her swim bladder.
Common goldfish, comets, shubunkins, ect. Are all perfectly safe to keep with koi. I think they help make koi a bit braver. Goldfish are more fearless at a young age, were koi stay skiddish longer.

Reactions: tlindsey

note2self

Candiru
MFK Member
May 27, 2014
pac nw
You can definitely keep goldfish with Koi. I did for years and it was always intereresting to see how the godlfish would start out outcompeting the Koi for food but once the Koi got the hang of things, their growth explodes and they blow past the gold. Too big, strong and fast for the goldfish to handle. Also keep in mind that if the Koi and goldfish breed, you will produce a sterile fish. People in the Koi hobby look down on keeping goldfish with Koi.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store