Gold marbled motoro

suckerfish

Dovii
MFK Member
Nov 8, 2005
LAGASH
Beautiful oto!!! I've always wondered how those orange spots would turn out. John brings in some cool stuff! Can't go wrong with him. Please update pics periodically.

SHARK13

Aimara
MFK Member
Oct 29, 2012
Definately not a pure marble. Likely a wild hybrid like a mantilla I would say.

Reactions: scott s

suckerfish

Dovii
MFK Member
Nov 8, 2005
LAGASH
Definately not a pure marble. Likely a wild hybrid like a mantilla I would say.
I've wondered over the years if these were wild hybrids? Living in central ban-it-fornia, I don't have ray experience. However, john has brought these in a few times over the last decade. OP, any additional info from john on these? I won't even ask him about rays, again, living in banitfornia!!!

SHARK13

Aimara
MFK Member
Oct 29, 2012
There is alot of speculation over the theory, but yes wild hybrids are out there. However, without proper DNA testing we will never know 100% what they are. Some think the "mantilla" group are in fact wild hybrids. The main reason being if you cross certain pure rays together you often get a ray with mantilla markings. Coincidental?

Reactions: Bigfishnut

krabbo008

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Mar 10, 2014
concord nh
So it's been a week since the new rays arrived. They seem to be doing ok, they are very active. I have not been able to get either to eat yet. I've tried chopped worms, shrimp, pellets. The otorongo is pretty large so I'm not so worried about her but the golden is getting skinny fast. I always put in plenty of food as to make sure my other motoros aren't hogging it all. The rays were eating live black worms before they came to me but I can't find any of those locally. Any suggestions on a food to try? I'm going to have to resort to feeders or ghost shrimp very soon.

krabbo008

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Mar 10, 2014
concord nh
Well it has been almost 6 months. Took me 7 weeks to get this motoro and oto eating ANYTHING once they landed...it was stressful on us all to say the least.. i lost my one male in the process :-( ..they are doing well now. Just wanted to give a little update.

20171202_172455.jpg

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store