Gold Tegus with Chinese water dragons

Will Defee

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 16, 2017
Hey, I wanted to know if anyone on this page could tell me if it would be safe to house 3 Chinese water dragons with a pair of gold Tegus in a large paludarium. I'm custom building the paludarium with a 400 gallon aquarium built into it, it will be an L shaped enclosure with the long side measuring ~ 9' long x 3' wide and the short side being ~ 4'6" long and 3' wide, the whole enclosure will be 7' tall with lots of branches and foliage. The aquarium will be 2 feet off of the ground and ~16" off the substrate to provide an extra cool area and it will have 2 feet above it for the water dragons to bask on branches placed over the tank which will include turtles in it, the tank will be 5' long.

Reactions: mrrobxc and Matteus

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
I'm not sure if anyone jeeps those two species together but the tank sounds like an impressive build.I am looking forward to seeing it.

Reactions: Matteus

Solari

Feeder Fish
Oct 2, 2018
Oakland, Ca
I’ve never heard of trying to keep those 2 species together. Very interesting idea, I would say be carful because if you have a breeding pair of tegu they can get aggressive, so maybe shy away from that. Good luck, the enclosure sounds amazing.

Will Defee

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 16, 2017
I’ve never heard of trying to keep those 2 species together. Very interesting idea, I would say be carful because if you have a breeding pair of tegu they can get aggressive, so maybe shy away from that. Good luck, the enclosure sounds amazing.
I would be buying all of them as babies along with some adult tokay geckos and packman frogs, the froga will live above the aquarium while the Tegus live on the bottom of the enclosure, and with the enclosure being 7 feet tall I think the water dragons will have enough room to get away it they start to get a little nippy.

Solari

Feeder Fish
Oct 2, 2018
Oakland, Ca
I would be buying all of them as babies along with some adult tokay geckos and packman frogs, the froga will live above the aquarium while the Tegus live on the bottom of the enclosure, and with the enclosure being 7 feet tall I think the water dragons will have enough room to get away it they start to get a little nippy.
Sounds like they would have enough room. Are you going to put in a pondish like area? That would be really cool. Tokay geckos are super cool and beautiful. Sounds like an amazing idea.

Will Defee

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 16, 2017
Sounds like they would have enough room. Are you going to put in a pondish like area? That would be really cool. Tokay geckos are super cool and beautiful. Sounds like an amazing idea.
Yes I am, a 400 gallon aquarium will sit on the left side of the enclosure with a waterfall overflow to the top of a 68 gallon toat that will be used as a lower watering area for the Tegus and double as the filter for the tank. The top of the custom built plywood tank will be mostly open with some land around the edges ( for andthe turtle and the packman frogs) and branches over the top for the water dragons and tokays to have easy access to the large aquarium.

Reactions: Matteus
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store