Golden Arowana

Matteus

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 6, 2018
Canada eh
Point in case, look what this guy did to his poor family -- mainly all for Asian Arowana:

After watching this I vowed I would never let that happen to me.

A year later: my teenage daughter could run away and I probably wouldn't notice :ROFL: (just kidding)
I don’t see why you would vow that wouldn’t be you, I don’t see any issues. That’s good family time together at the fish market every weekend for 15 years

until the end of the video of course. Some people don’t like the movie “Marley and me”- this is the equivalent for me.

in fact I think my wife and I have already had some of those same talks. Oh dear. I guess I see what I am saying here, and where this is going. Well the first step is realizing you have a problem.

the next step is get a bigger tank to make sure the problem goes away. Or something like that anyway ??

Tobiassorensen

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 23, 2017
Sweden
I don’t see why you would vow that wouldn’t be you, I don’t see any issues. That’s good family time together at the fish market every weekend for 15 years

until the end of the video of course. Some people don’t like the movie “Marley and me”- this is the equivalent for me.

in fact I think my wife and I have already had some of those same talks. Oh dear. I guess I see what I am saying here, and where this is going. Well the first step is realizing you have a problem.

the next step is get a bigger tank to make sure the problem goes away. Or something like that anyway ??
I agree matt. Only problem i have is not enough tanks to buy more fish?

islandguy11

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Sep 17, 2017
Thailand

My comment was a bit on the joking side, but my point was basically that imho he went a bit overboard -- esp. given the size of his house -- I mean how many of wives/husbands would put up with huge tanks crowding the kitchen and living rooms to that degree? :) Also in the comments below the video there were more than a few people theorizing the wife even killed his fish! (which I personally highly doubt was the situation, but it does highlight how some people viewed the whole situation). Being excited and involved in our hobby is one thing, literally forcing it (either consciously or unconsciously) upon family members or overly intruding on shared space is another thing. Even Joey King of DIY doesn't do that, he pretty much separates the 2 and let's family do what they want to do.

And I'm all for introducing kids to the hobby, but it seems like those kids don't really have a lot of choice -- imho kids deserve a more well-rounded upbringing, they should also be playing some sports or musical instruments, chasing girls etc. Just my 2 cents though and understand others might have somewhat different opinions/perspectives, esp. when it comes to something as complex as raising kids.

Anyway I would like to be a fly on the wall during one of your wife-husband-MTS talks -- as a single divorced guy it's not something I have to worry about -- I got rid of my bed about a year ago to make space for another Arowana tank and sleep in a chair ;)

Matteus

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 6, 2018
Canada eh
I said that all partially tongue in cheek. I also believe work/life balance is very important. And likewise with hobbies, pets and such. If my wife doesn’t agree with me having the new tank(s) or fish, there is no sense in trying to force it, because then she will be resentful of the item in question.

I am a firm believer in the fight is never about what you are fighting about. If my wife becomes indignant toward my fish, it’s most likely because I give them more attention than her. So even though I have lots going on in the fish room, I still need to make sure we have“quality” time together and also include her fun activities as well. I do what I can to support her love of artistic types of activities and even though I am not an outdoors guy typically, I make time for camping and send her with her friends to galavant around in the mountains etc.

if I had my way all the time we wouldn’t have so many couches, they all take up too much precious tank space. Lol. When we are officially looking for a new place to move to, I won’t even look at the listing unless there is at least a 2 car garage and possibly unfinished basement.

Reactions: islandguy11

islandguy11

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Sep 17, 2017
Thailand
I said that all partially tongue in cheek. I also believe work/life balance is very important. And likewise with hobbies, pets and such. If my wife doesn’t agree with me having the new tank(s) or fish, there is no sense in trying to force it, because then she will be resentful of the item in question.

I am a firm believer in the fight is never about what you are fighting about. If my wife becomes indignant toward my fish, it’s most likely because I give them more attention than her. So even though I have lots going on in the fish room, I still need to make sure we have“quality” time together and also include her fun activities as well. I do what I can to support her love of artistic types of activities and even though I am not an outdoors guy typically, I make time for camping and send her with her friends to galavant around in the mountains etc.

if I had my way all the time we wouldn’t have so many couches, they all take up too much precious tank space. Lol. When we are officially looking for a new place to move to, I won’t even look at the listing unless there is at least a 2 car garage and possibly unfinished basement.
Yeah I knew it bro, and of course my comments weren't directed toward yourself but rather the guy in the video -- it's pretty clear that besides being a darn good fishkeeper you're an awesome husband and going to be a super dad, no doubt around here about that!

• Love
Reactions: Matteus
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store