Golden base

jdpeters87

Black Skirt Tetra
MFK Member
Jun 11, 2014
washington
Got this golden base 4.5 months ago. Great coloration initially. Now looks pale and orange. Colors look like ****. Grown about 2 inches though has the girth and bulk. kok is ok
150 gallon, great filtration and flow. Weekly waters changes and fed NLS, bio gold and occasionally frozen spirulina brine.
Is this a trash flowerhorn? What’s he gonna turn out to be? Looked so promising initially

92907A75-8F23-4ACB-975A-8DA3F36125AC.jpeg 585B5530-6E72-4627-ABF0-B929A1D52D6B.jpeg

HybridFinatic

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Oct 24, 2018
Virginia
Looks like he just lost his red coloration. Try feeding more krill and red enhancing NLS. Bet he is still an awesome fish. I definitely couldn’t say my fish look like ****. Flowerhorn don’t lose their potential. If you continue to take care of him properly he will probaly get a lot his color back and look even better. If he doesn’t I wouldn’t sweat it.

Man-made Monsters

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Dec 26, 2016
I agree with HybridFinatic's statement. Another food that brings out good red without more harmful ingredients or hormones is Hikari Blood Parrot pellets. My fish gobble it up and I noticed more pronounced red appearance around day 10 of feeding. Also keep in mind that many GB Flowerhorn fade and change color as they age. In fact, even feeding a red enhancement food might not ever bring back the colors he had when you bought him, but thats just the nature of these fish. Feed some red enhancement food and repost a picture in 2 weeks. I would love to see the results regardless of the outcome.

Reactions: islandguy11

HybridFinatic

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Oct 24, 2018
Virginia
I agree with HybridFinatic's statement. Another food that brings out good red without more harmful ingredients or hormones is Hikari Blood Parrot pellets. My fish gobble it up and I noticed more pronounced red appearance around day 10 of feeding. Also keep in mind that many GB Flowerhorn fade and change color as they age. In fact, even feeding a red enhancement food might not ever bring back the colors he had when you bought him, but thats just the nature of these fish. Feed some red enhancement food and repost a picture in 2 weeks. I would love to see the results regardless of the outcome.
I would also be interested in the outcome. If it were me I would not be disappointed. Like you said it’s the nature of these fish. He still looks like a quality GB flowerhorn. Also their is no need for him to supplement brine shrimp. The NLS should cover that.

ny.subway

Plecostomus
MFK Member
May 31, 2017
+1 on the hikari blood red parrot, NLS ultra red would help and if still ain’t satisfied try shrimp, freeze dried krill. Faders tend to change as they age, stressed and matured. You might wanna try to divide the tank to groom him more. Been keeping faders/ GB. This is my favorite flowerhorn.

jdpeters87

Black Skirt Tetra
MFK Member
Jun 11, 2014
washington
Here’s from 2 weeks ago. I switched to okiko platinum since but it’s not a huge improvement. This photo was taken on feb 18. I noticed new speckling around his mouth and his kok for 24 hours had red spots but it has since then disappeared.

DBA6F2DA-C684-429C-A9B3-64EF11F59675.jpeg

Dloks

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Feb 5, 2011
in a car
It’s actually pretty nice bro

Reactions: Matteus

jdpeters87

Black Skirt Tetra
MFK Member
Jun 11, 2014
washington
Thanks! His baby coloration is what really made me pick him. The second was his anal and dorsal fins. He kinda has streamers

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store