Golden Climbing Perch

Nov 29, 2021
Many years ago I picked some up at a LFS, but I had to give them away when I moved for school. I really enjoyed keeping them, and was looking to get some more now that I've settled down. But, I can't seem to find them for sale anywhere in the US. As far as I can tell, they are not illegal, at least where I live (cold-water state), and are a pretty common species in their native range, so can't imagine they have become endangered or anything like that.

Anyone know if they are still sold anywhere?

Edit: I am talking about Anabas Testudineus

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
I haven't seen any around in quite some time.

Fishman Dave

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Nov 14, 2015
West Yorkshire
They are certainly still available and on sale in the uk although not a hugely popular fish, probably due to its drab coloration relative to ctenapoma, but I would assume should still therefore be found available in us.

Fishman Dave

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Nov 14, 2015
West Yorkshire
To be fair though I was a bit quick replying, we do just tend to get the normal drab grey variety rather than the golden one of the same.

Milingu

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 19, 2015
The golden strain was available in Europe a few years ago. But they looked quite drab compared to the yellow form which I believe is a totally different mutation.

The golden ones available looked like this

The yellow ones look like this.

Nov 29, 2021
To be fair though I was a bit quick replying, we do just tend to get the normal drab grey variety rather than the golden one of the same.
I have seen some of the drab colored ones for sale online in the UK - although shipping a couple live fish from a retail store across the Atlantic seems cost-prohibitive. I can't find any reason why they would be for sale in the UK but not the US. I get that they are not a popular fish, but there are lots of niche fishes that someone in the country is selling online somewhere.

wednesday13

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 2, 2008
The deep south
I thought this could be the case, but I have not found any evidence of it. Also, a lot of things are considered invasive in Florida and California that are legal in the Pacific NW where I live.
The cold doesn’t always save us for more species… im in Ohio and its becoming one of the worst for legality. I wanna say the climbing perch was on the 2016 lacey act list that was federal for imports. I do agree the info is hard to find which doesn’t make it easy for us.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store