Golden Dorado Tank help/ Flow setup

Lucas2n

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 13, 2020
Hey guys got a few questions for you. Currently have a 180 gal growout setup for 5 golden dorado coming. currently theres 2 rays and my paraiba. The tank is running 2 FX6 canisters pointing length wise as shown in my crappy diagram. My Question is Where would be best to add a powerhead? near the filter outputs like in the diagram or on the other side of the tank helping complete the flow.( or both?) Also what GPH flow would i want to get for a powerhead? I was looking at a hygger 2600 gph wave maker. Would 1 of those be sufficient? or would i be better off using 2 of the smaller ones? Also Would you recommend leaving them on 24/7 for the dorado or turn them off when the light go out at night? Tank has been running fine for 3 months now and stays crystal clear but I want to make sure the dorado have sufficient flow.

dorado tank.png

wave maker.png

Matteus

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 6, 2018
Canada eh
kendragon kendragon any words of wisdom here?

that tiny little power head won’t do anything in a tank that size. I had one double that power and it hardly stirred the sand.

Reactions: Backfromthedead

Lucas2n

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 13, 2020
kendragon kendragon any words of wisdom here?

that tiny little power head won’t do anything in a tank that size. I had one double that power and it hardly stirred the sand.
Okay interesting to note probably going to have to go with more flow than 2600 gph you think? And yes, kendragon kendragon if you have any kind words of wisdom to help, that’d be great. Your thread from 2017 on your dorado is what inspired me to grow a shoal of these beasts

Reactions: Matteus

Matteus

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 6, 2018
Canada eh
Okay interesting to note probably going to have to go with more flow than 2600 gph you think? And yes, kendragon kendragon if you have any kind words of wisdom to help, that’d be great. Your thread from 2017 on your dorado is what inspired me to grow a shoal of these beasts
Ya I was quite choked about it tbh. I had this idea that a power head rated for a 100g would do, but sadly enough it wasn’t even enough for a 70g tank I had it on after.

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
I hope you realize a 180 is really only large enough as a grow out for juvie Dorado.
I would not consider my 180 sufficient for any but sub adults only temporarily.
An average adult can weigh over 20 lbs, and in reality needs a minimum tank size of at least 1000 gallons.
Consider when they migrate to spawn they swim at least 250 miles.

Reactions: Matteus and dr exum

DB junkie

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jan 27, 2007
Iowa
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store