Golden Dorados...... Your experience with them as an aquarium fish

Simonas

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Oct 24, 2008
Wirral, UK
I have been lusting over Golden Dorados but I have a distinct memory that someone told me they are the most ferocious predator in a tank if you get a crazy one.

I like my large predators but never even seen a GD in the flesh and I wonder what people on heres experience is with them and what size tanks did you keep them in

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
DB junkie DB junkie

Reactions: Simonas

ruincccc

Exodon
MFK Member
Nov 27, 2021
I currently have two 4 inchers in 2 separate grow-out tanks as a result of their intraspecies aggression and killing the rest 4 when i got them at 1.5 inches. they seem to be hardy, not picky with food, water, temp, tank mates, active all day, so far. i too look forward to growing them a bit bigger to join them in my 440G so they don't become snacks to my basses. i'll see if I'm signing up for a disaster or things will turn out fine.

Reactions: Simonas

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
Our main GD thread and those threads linked therein contain all our learnings of significance: https://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/...rassie-by-rapps-thought-to-be-frankie.688910/

I am recently retrying the GDs too. So far 2 kills of 8 batch and 2 kills of 5 batch, all due to each other, except one perhaps. They have been proving a handful versus our original loner which had presented little to no problems all the way to 2 feet.

Reactions: kno4te

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
I kept one quite a few years ago back when I was heavily into predatory characins and it constantly chased other fish around the tank....at feeding time it would gobble up all that it could and snatch food right from the mouths of other fish!

Reactions: Killduv and Simonas

fishtankphil

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
May 24, 2014
USA
You already know my story lol they are easier then atf that's for sure especially when ur talking about gatf! They are not that difficult at all if you understand what makes a characin tick! I feed my trio once a day usually in the mor and of massivore and super worms. Then every 2 to 3 days I feed the entire tank raw tilapia. The absence of bones and organs is replaced by the super worms. I gut load them too with carrot and apple/oatmeal. They need water movement and daily I push around 5k gph in that alone not including the filtration. They also get a **** ton of bubbles/crashing water from the return lines and a pair of 4" airstoned at 80LPM. All in all if u have kept predatory characins in the past Dorado aren't that hard to maintain. Food, water movement and o2!

Simonas

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Oct 24, 2008
Wirral, UK
You already know my story lol they are easier then atf that's for sure especially when ur talking about gatf! They are not that difficult at all if you understand what makes a characin tick! I feed my trio once a day usually in the mor and of massivore and super worms. Then every 2 to 3 days I feed the entire tank raw tilapia. The absence of bones and organs is replaced by the super worms. I gut load them too with carrot and apple/oatmeal. They need water movement and daily I push around 5k gph in that alone not including the filtration. They also get a **** ton of bubbles/crashing water from the return lines and a pair of 4" airstoned at 80LPM. All in all if u have kept predatory characins in the past Dorado aren't that hard to maintain. Food, water movement and o2!
Cheers Phil

Yeah I love yours and its the likes of your videos and others on the FB pages which have had me thinking of them

I just need more tanks and space but I might grab one if I see it on the classifieds. There were loads locally last year going cheap and nothing lately. sods law

I31

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Feb 1, 2007
omni
I put a 6" in a 220gal w/ larger Pangasius conchophilus, larnaudii & dats. It left dats alone but kept tagging the pangasius. Maybe cause it has silverish sides?

Reactions: thebiggerthebetter

DB junkie

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jan 27, 2007
Iowa
Must just depend on the individual fishes????

I have 3 here that live with silver characins half their size - have for years.

I suppose I could run an experiment - toss some smaller silver dollars in with them...... Would bet they don't even touch them.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store