Golden Sailfin aka Hypostomus luteus

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
very nice pleco. wish i got one by accident.
Thank you.

When you spend 5-6 grand over last 2-3 years with a vendor, it becomes less of a big deal to the said vendor.

Reactions: justarn and Dloks

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
No changes to report here. The luteus acts and looks the same. Maybe moves around a tad more often.

Offered cucumber, lettuce, and zucchini on fork many times, leaving in tank for 24 hours. It took a tiny bit of some of them what looks like by accident, some time overnight. 99% got rotten and thrown away. The fish doesn't pay attention to these.

Haven't tried yams yet as had been suggested.

I still only hope it takes an occasional pellet. I mean if it didn't, it'd be either emaciated or dead by now.

Red Aimara

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Apr 9, 2011
Linked here from your reply. :)

A suggestion (worked many times for me):

Try adding in another pleco or two that are greedy eaters. Once there is faster competition for food, your Luteus might show more enthusiasm to eat.

Worked for all my past arowanas that went on hunger strikes.

Note: get smaller and less aggressive ones that.

Reactions: thebiggerthebetter

Joshomaru

Piranha
MFK Member
Apr 1, 2018
Perhaps he is stressed from lack of hiding places? Have you tried a market shrimp? I know you're doing what you can, and his lack of eating isn't for a lack of trying, just spitballing here....

Reactions: thebiggerthebetter

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
I lost the luteus. It lasted 6 months or so. In retrospect, this should have been expected. Just a week or less ago it was still sucking in several accidental pellets and blowing them out of its gills. It was my wishful thinking that he doesn't blow all of them out and actually partakes of some. But now I think it just never fed, no matter what I tried - pellets, fish, veggies.

Wes offered perhaps one of the few possible causes that the pleco had a parasite or a worm, that could have been purged with praziquantel. I usually administer prazi via feed. In retrospect, I perhaps should have tried giving it prazi baths.

Other keepers of this fish report no problems whatsoever with feeding their luteus, regardless of tank mates, hiding places, diet offered, etc.

Some photos of my sad guy:

100_8199.JPG 100_8200.JPG 100_8201.JPG

• Sad
Reactions: jjohnwm

Hendre

Bawitius
Staff member
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2016
South Africa
Sorry to see man :(

zoomed.com