Goldfish Help! swelled

Go_redfish

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jul 21, 2018
Long term exposure to high nitrates will do them in. Causes kidney and liver failure. The stress from trying to cope with it leaves them open to opportunistic infections.

I said a minimum for GF is 5x the turn over. That would be on lower stock count.

I keep mostly show quality imports I stock mine at 20 gallons per adult and I tack on another 10 gallons for every inch over 7inches. Filtration turns over 10x the volume of the enclosure and I also run sponge filters. Automatic water change system changes 100% of the water 2x a week

Reactions: tlindsey

Go_redfish

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jul 21, 2018
I'm sure all that sounds excessive but my nitrates stay at 5-0ppm. And I've not had a kidney failure death from my breeding animals in 15yrs.

Its not unreasonable to me to drop $500+ dollars on a well bred animal so water quality is vital to maintain. I also do take in rescue fish myself so I've gotten a bit of pratice at diagnosis and treatment.

Savethemall

Candiru
MFK Member
Oct 13, 2017
Hi thanks for your respond. The current update- Ive did some water changes and treated with kanaplex and levamisol HCL. its been4 days since i finished the kanaplex treatment and 1 week since the levamisole dose and 10 days since the fish started to look bloated. There is no improvment ,however for all this time the fish is active, swimming and eating. I also didnt feed the tank for 4 days and today started giving peas. Any new ideas? there is no scale pertruding at all, dosent look like dropsy.

Savethemall

Candiru
MFK Member
Oct 13, 2017
Hi thanks for your respond. The current update- Ive did some water changes and treated with kanaplex and levamisol HCL. its been4 days since i finished the kanaplex treatment and 1 week since the levamisole dose and 10 days since the fish started to look bloated. There is no improvment ,however for all this time the fish is active, swimming and eating. I also didnt feed the tank for 4 days and today started giving peas. Any new ideas? there is no scale pertruding at all, dosent look like dropsy.

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
Try some Epsom salt at 1 tbsp per 5g. Recheck the poop. Maybe reconsider the goldfish being full of eggs or the goldfish is what I like say “big boned”.

Savethemall

Candiru
MFK Member
Oct 13, 2017
Whats "big boned"? and if he is full with eggs how much time it will take for him to lay? do you know of ways treating egg bound fish?

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
Well if it’s a he then no need to address eggs. Just saying it’s a big fish.

Savethemall

Candiru
MFK Member
Oct 13, 2017
Im kind of sure She is a She.. beacause a few mounth ago i saw the fish "mating behavior" and she was the one who was being chased. but then i lowered the tank temo and the chasing stopped and it was over a mounth ago.. so i dont think that this is now eggs

Savethemall

Candiru
MFK Member
Oct 13, 2017
The fish is the same . its been over 2 weeks. She is eating and acting normal but she is very bloated and her feces are white . for the last 3 days all the fish have pooped white and long poop. one of them seems lethargic and when i feed he eats but after a minute he spit the food out. Im very worried , i think i have an out break of something. I treated the tank with kanaplex about 10 days ago and with levamisole. Do you have ideas what is this? TY

Savethemall

Candiru
MFK Member
Oct 13, 2017
Hi, yesterday one of the goldfish has started to show signs of breathing distress,hanging on the top of the tank breathing very fast with his mouth open. i also saw him scratching on the glass a few times,he also dosent eat.its the same goldfish that was lethargic a few days ago.Assuming its gill flukes I treated with Gyrodol by JBL {praziquantel} yesterday and there isnt any imrovment for now.How much time do you think it supposed to take till imrovmrnt shows? Do you think i should try other meds ot treatments{like salt}? Do ou think it might be something else besides gill flukes?There was an overall improvment in the tank after the metro treatment with more healthy poop,however the bloated one is still bloated and this fish is still pooping white poop. i atrted yesterday with the epsom salt treatment with the food. Im alo thinking wether or not i should quarntine him,the cons mostly are the stress factor for him,when he has such and hard time breathing i think even a little stress can be very bad.
another thing is ther treatment routine of the Gyrodol,The med saying to treat the tank once{dosgae is 10ml which is 15mg of prazi for 50 L} then wait 48 hours then water change 50% and the reapeat after 7 days,i know there are other protocols and dosages with prazi, do you reccomend something else? Thank you

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store