Goldfish problem...long term problem

Pumpkinseed

Exodon
MFK Member
Nov 6, 2013
Pennsylvania
I didn’t think blood worms were good for goldfish.

As for water tests, 0 - ammonia, 0 - nitrite, and 10 - nitrates, I do weekly water changes in the tank and keep the nitrates below 40ppm. They are at 40ppm when I do my water change at the end of the week (water change is approximately 80-85%).
According to the farmer at https://www.hanoverkoifarms.com/ , it is also important to "maintain the proper kH/alkalinity", give the page a read if you are in the mood for a good rant.

Niki_up

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jan 5, 2018
So I have been watching my fish closely and comparing his movements to the other fish and it almost seems like his tail is paralyzed, he swims with his front fins. When he tries to move his tail to swim he is making a quivering motion.

I’m not sure when I should euthanize him or even if I should.

Deadliestviper7

The Necromancer
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2016
So I have been watching my fish closely and comparing his movements to the other fish and it almost seems like his tail is paralyzed, he swims with his front fins. When he tries to move his tail to swim he is making a quivering motion.

I’m not sure when I should euthanize him or even if I should.
If he still eats (or tries to ) let him be (had a few fish injure there spines,most recovered )

Niki_up

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jan 5, 2018
If he still eats (or tries to ) let him be (had a few fish injure there spines,most recovered )
He def does try, I have moved him back into his main tank as the ammonia was building up too much and too quickly in his QT tank.

His other fishy friends missed him!

How long were yours injured? How long did it take for them to recover?

Deadliestviper7

The Necromancer
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2016
He def does try, I have moved him back into his main tank as the ammonia was building up too much and too quickly in his QT tank.

His other fishy friends missed him!

How long were yours injured? How long did it take for them to recover?
None were goldfish but the longest recovery time took over a month in one individual

Reactions: Niki_up
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store