Goliath tiger fish and growth rate? And are they better than vittatus?

Marximus

Piranha
MFK Member
Jan 23, 2021
www.youtube.com
Just curious how big do really goliaths grow in the home aquarium on average? And how fast do they grow? Lastly is it better than a vittatus? Pls don’t give in the wild numbers, I know they grow like big in the wild. just want to know average size in general not one offs.

nzafi

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Mar 14, 2008
USA
I am no expert but I recall many threads about how many GATF grow painfully slow but there have been multiple exceptions to the rule which has lead to the theory of variants of GATF. Majority of people cannot keep GATF long term because they eventually end up killing themselves against the tank. Seen tons of posts of folks getting them 12-18in or so but not many after that. Those that have grown them from 30-40 inches have large setups. The one succesful member on here keeps theirs in a large circular tank. The others that have I seen online are in 7,000g to like 15,000 set ups.

Marximus

Piranha
MFK Member
Jan 23, 2021
www.youtube.com
I am no expert but I recall many threads about how many GATF grow painfully slow but there have been multiple exceptions to the rule which has lead to the theory of variants of GATF. Majority of people cannot keep GATF long term because they eventually end up killing themselves against the tank. Seen tons of posts of folks getting them 12-18in or so but not many after that. Those that have grown them from 30-40 inches have large setups. The one succesful member on here keeps theirs in a large circular tank. The others that have I seen online are in 7,000g to like 15,000 set ups.
ah i see.. because people say they grow to 3ft in the aquarium but havent seen alot maybe like 2-3.. just wanted to know how big can u get one if the tank is smaller like 8x3... bec my friends in the philippines treat goliath like vittatus.. just like 6-8 foot tanks

Reactions: CrazyPhishMan

nzafi

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Mar 14, 2008
USA
ah i see.. because people say they grow to 3ft in the aquarium but havent seen alot maybe like 2-3.. just wanted to know how big can u get one if the tank is smaller like 8x3... bec my friends in the philippines treat goliath like vittatus.. just like 6-8 foot tanks
Most keep them in 8x3 or 8x4 tanks, but they always end up dying. The large ones normally are 5+years old. Most people keeping them in smaller tanks have them a couple years before the fish kills itself when ramming the tank.

Reactions: thebiggerthebetter

Marximus

Piranha
MFK Member
Jan 23, 2021
www.youtube.com
Most keep them in 8x3 or 8x4 tanks, but they always end up dying. The large ones normally are 5+years old. Most people keeping them in smaller tanks have them a couple years before the fish kills itself when ramming the tank.
Will it be wiser to take a Vittatus instead? I’m thinking just a solo fish...I don’t like comm tanks.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store