Goliath Tiger with Bloated stomach

sunnysjourney

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Apr 20, 2014
US
RD. RD. Matteus Matteus the Levamisole arrived early. I'll be dosing my aquarium tonight just before I turn off the lights. Will keep this thread updated.

sunnysjourney

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Apr 20, 2014
US
Update:
I did a 80% water change today and it had been around 54 hours since I treated the tank with Levamisole. His stomach is still swollen (although not as much as some of the pictures I’ve posted above). But it definitely doesn’t look like the stomach of a tiger fish that hasn’t eaten in months. I don’t know if this is due to the Levamisole or due to the fact that he keeps puking things out every time his stomach gets too big. Maybe I should dose again? What do you guys think?

Also, I dosed about 10 grams (or about .3 .grams / 10 gallons of water). Should I up the dosage?

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
Stick to the dosage in the link that I posted previously, and re-dose in 2 weeks. Having said that, if it was a nematode infestation, he should have been purging the worms right away after the initial dose. The follow up dose is to kill any remaining eggs. (2 weeks later)

Could be something else going on. Possibly an internal tumour? I was really hoping that it would be a simple case of worms, but if PraziPro and Levamisole are not cleaning him out, I think that you can rule out any type of worms.

Reactions: Matteus

sunnysjourney

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Apr 20, 2014
US
Stick to the dosage in the link that I posted previously, and re-dose in 2 weeks. Having said that, if it was a nematode infestation, he should have been purging the worms right away after the initial dose. The follow up dose is to kill any remaining eggs. (2 weeks later)

Could be something else going on. Possibly an internal tumour? I was really hoping that it would be a simple case of worms, but if PraziPro and Levamisole are not cleaning him out, I think that you can rule out any type of worms.
Okay will do. And I doubt it’s a tumor, if it were a tumor wouldn’t his stomach Size be constantly invreasing? The fact that the rate of expansion of his stomach is directly dependent on the water temperature makes me thing that there’s something else brewing in there. If I up the temp to 84 his stomach will be a balloon in a couple of days.

I’m at a loss right now. Don’t know what else to do. I’ll redose levamisole in a couple of weeks like you suggested.
Again other than the fact that he isn’t eating and his stomach is abnormally big, he’s acting fully normal.

Reactions: Matteus

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
I'm at a loss. It sounds a lot like the symptoms of a tapeworm, but Prazi would have resolved that. Any round worms the Levamisole would have eradicated. Hard to say with a tumor, there are so many kinds. I once helped a member on a cichlid forum resolve a large growth in his fishes mouth, by adding iodine to the water. Turned out the fish was suffering from goiter.

It seems that everything started with the tilapia feeding, but what caused him this much upset from a piece of tilapia is hard to say. Hopefully someone can see something that myself and others are missing here. Good luck amigo.

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
I must echo Phil and RD. What in the world???

I don't quite understand why you say you can't stomach giving the GATF an epsom salt soaked pellet. Epsom should purge and kill all intestinal parasites or so I have read and believe. Given the adequate dose.

IDK about the ATF in particular but generally Epsom is so mild and is nearly impossibole to overdose.

@RD, I don't think Sunnys gave it Prazi or maybe I missed it or maybe it was not reported clearly.

So, so far the fish only got an adequate dose of Levamizole as far as I can tell and perhaps a little bit of metronidazole but not an adequate doze. I realize the GATF is not eating enough to administer a med with feed easily.

The regurgitation and the bloat may signal an inflammation somewhere in the gastrointestinal tract. Could be bacterial or viral. Not necessarily parasitic doing.

Wide spectrum gram negative and gram positive antibacterial could be warranted.

sunnysjourney

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Apr 20, 2014
US
I must echo Phil and RD. What in the world???

I don't quite understand why you say you can't stomach giving the GATF an epsom salt soaked pellet. Epsom should purge and kill all intestinal parasites or so I have read and believe. Given the adequate dose.

IDK about the ATF in particular but generally Epsom is so mild and is nearly impossibole to overdose.

@RD, I don't think Sunnys gave it Prazi or maybe I missed it or maybe it was not reported clearly.

So, so far the fish only got an adequate dose of Levamizole as far as I can tell and perhaps a little bit of metronidazole but not an adequate doze. I realize the GATF is not eating enough to administer a med with feed easily.

The regurgitation and the bloat may signal an inflammation somewhere in the gastrointestinal tract. Could be bacterial or viral. Not necessarily parasitic doing.

Wide spectrum gram negative and gram positive antibacterial could be warranted.
Thanks for the reply, and quoting what I said above " But my guy wasn't eating and the other way is to inject metro+ dissolved in water directly into the fish via its mouth" :) . I have soaked massivores in both metro + and epsom salt (not together) and fed it to him multiple times.

And as for the dosing of prazi, I think I have mentioned it in my original post that I tried prazi and epsom salt, looks like I wasn’t clear, sorry about that. I started with prazi and then a water change followed by epsom salt. In fact I have dozed prazi currently as well.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store