Good article on Arowana feeding..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fish_Admirer17

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 22, 2010
Philippines
hey quick question, if you feed medium arowana twice a day, how much food is that per feeding??we have superworms and pellets..how much of each?

alexx-w

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 26, 2010
wood dale IL
jmotion;2593585; said:
My 3 blacks and silvers only search surface for food unless it's krill. Once it sinks to the bottom they don't really touch anything.

i agree with you, i think it cus our arows are still small, ive seen a lot of youtube vids were bigger arowana go deeper for food. mines only like 5"

i feed him things that float like blood worms and cichlid pellets

Fish_Admirer17

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 22, 2010
Philippines
hey quick question, if you feed medium sized arowana twice a day, how much food is that per feeding/serving??we have superworms and pellets..how much of each should i feed twice a day??

hondas3000

Gambusia
MFK Member
Oct 15, 2008
BC, Canada
Fish_Admirer17;4029464; said:
hey quick question, if you feed medium sized arowana twice a day, how much food is that per feeding/serving??we have superworms and pellets..how much of each should i feed twice a day??

Try to feed it till your aro stop eating then you know how much your aro can take and divide it into 2 meal. Each aro is different so there is no exact amount.

It mentions about not to feed frozen fish or prawn, It is hard to find fresh stuff in Canada and so expensive too.

Fish_Admirer17

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 22, 2010
Philippines
should I feed them a mixed serving of pellets and worms twice a day or worms in the morning and pellets in the evening vice-versa??

COOL MBU

Candiru
MFK Member
Nov 17, 2006
MICHIGAN
As part of my Aro's diet,he is fed properly thawed out frozen smelt,which I always thought retained it's level of protein.If anybody knows different about this subject...Please LMK?

zerojquan85

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Oct 16, 2008
So-California, US
Fish_Admirer17;4029503; said:
should I feed them a mixed serving of pellets and worms twice a day or worms in the morning and pellets in the evening vice-versa??

Feed only as its needed for a young arowana..

If ur arow is 3"-5" i would feed it 3 times a day.. about 3-4 pellets or worms.. enough so that it gets a good meal and it wont get TOO OVER FED.

You want to introduce a variety of diet when young.. not later in life.... the arowana's that learn to eat in variety when young will develop a good habit when they grow to adult.. They will except a large variety of food...

Also.. change up the diet per week.. dont do the same food week after week.. Switch between live food, to pellet food.. I've notice my arowana will get sick of one type of food after 1-2 weeks.. so introduce diff food each week when young is key.

Fish_Admirer17

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 22, 2010
Philippines
but its a medium sized aro already..its over 12"..you said twice a day for medium aro's..i tried to feed him lettuce and he ate it..this morning i went ti see how much he will eat to know his limit then divide it into to meals..but he ate 11 superworms and seemed to want more so i stopped..how many worms/pellets should i feed him per serving if i feed him twice a day??

zerojquan85

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Oct 16, 2008
So-California, US
Fish_Admirer17;4032297; said:
but its a medium sized aro already..its over 12"..you said twice a day for medium aro's..i tried to feed him lettuce and he ate it..this morning i went ti see how much he will eat to know his limit then divide it into to meals..but he ate 11 superworms and seemed to want more so i stopped..how many worms/pellets should i feed him per serving if i feed him twice a day??
Enough so his stomach doesnt get too full where his swimming becomes lethargic.. u dont want a full belly arowana and later develop stomach problems.. Fish aren't meant to be overfed..

Just feed enough.. cut back on the superworms.. are these earth worms or worms u get from petstores? Cuz earthworms can carry disease.. u dont konw what they eat in the wild..

Better just feed 4 max.. if its 12" then ya.. fed twice a day.. morning and night.. just enough so it doesnt go hungry...

When they get to be 22" Like mine are right now.. i only feed them once a day.. usually 3-4 market shrimp.. and that should last them more than one day interval.. u can give them snacks in between.. My arowana are trained that if they swim close to the glass and keep looking at me.. i know the want food..

Fish_Admirer17

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 22, 2010
Philippines
haha..my aro almost does the same thing..when he sees he looks at me and follows my hand..the superworms are grown mealworms..those with the shells..i got them at the petstore..thanks for your help man!!really appreciate it!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store