Good general tips for a beginner FH breeder......

Blaz1n1t

Gambusia
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2011
FL
What are some good basic tips to help a beginner FH breeder..foods to help healthy eggs? Divide them or not? What will they do when thier about to mate?? ETC.... Anything that will help... Thanks!

tiddlywinks

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 20, 2009
las vegas
make sure i have a male and female. lot of rookies try to breed with 2 males or females

joe jaskot

Dovii
MFK Member
Sep 16, 2011
Clifton, NJ
No matter what type of fish you are trying to breed, you have to condition the fish and provide them with good water quality in order for them to breed. Live foods are great for getting fish into breeding condition. Large water changes are also beneficial.

tiddlywinks

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 20, 2009
las vegas
No matter what type of fish you are trying to breed, you have to condition the fish and provide them with good water quality in order for them to breed. Live foods are great for getting fish into breeding condition. Large water changes are also beneficial.
i dont clean my tanks or do water changes at all when breeding fish. unless the female wont lay eggs then i do a 20-30% cool water change.

Arofreak

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 24, 2011
Wisconsin
Breeding FH is not for beginner... Try breeding convicts or other cichlids first and learn from less expensive fish...

I agree but breeding convicts aren't a challenge. They breed like rabbits and can share multiple partners in a tank and are probably in my opinion one of the best parent fish and will defend their frys like no other and not eat the frys. I finally was able to find my convict breeding pairs a good home last week. I gave them away.
Flowerhorns seem to be a quite a challenge. Due to fertilty issues, extreme aggression, and I guess just being hybrids in general. Some just really lack any kind parenting instincs. A lot of trial and error helps alot, sucks to say but its true. You just simply have to find a pair that can just naturally get along.

phobull

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 23, 2008
In Yo Mind
Ops sorry my tip is, breed cheap and ugly FH first and than slowly move down to the high range FH.

- Some flower horns might not be compatibility with each other so rotate them around.
- Always have them separated before allow them to mate
- Monitor the FH at all times as they're unpredictable
- Have DIM lighting to set the mood

tiddlywinks

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 20, 2009
las vegas

I agree but breeding convicts aren't a challenge. They breed like rabbits and can share multiple partners in a tank and are probably in my opinion one of the best parent fish and will defend their frys like no other and not eat the frys. I finally was able to find my convict breeding pairs a good home last week. I gave them away.
Flowerhorns seem to be a quite a challenge. Due to fertilty issues, extreme aggression, and I guess just being hybrids in general. Some just really lack any kind parenting instincs. A lot of trial and error helps alot, sucks to say but its true. You just simply have to find a pair that can just naturally get along.
i got one male and female convict 8 years ago the only 2 convicts i have payed for. since then i have had tousands. sadly most of them died over time. i have one female left.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store