Good information on caring for damselfish?

J. H.

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Oct 14, 2016
I am thinking of setting up a reef tank. I already have 65lb of sand and 35lb of rock, a light, and I have my eye on a 48x18x12 super shallow tank, maybe with a 29g sump. My favorite saltwater fish based off of youtube and what I see in LFSs are the damselfish, but the only info I find online seems to say they are a bad idea, mostly because they are aggressive. They don't seem to be any more aggresssive than their cichlid/sunfish cousins from the videos I see. Is there any good info on care for them? Line of sight blocks, keeping only damsels, avoiding similarly colored fish? Or are they really impossible to keep?

Reactions: tlindsey

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
I've used a small group of Blue Damsels for fish in cycle for 3 separate aquariums at different times and never noticed aggression.
The Garibaldi is the most aggressive specie from what I have read.
If no member chimes in here do some research on Reef Central.

Reactions: J. H.

Deadeye

POTM Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2020
Certain species are more aggressive than others.
Springers, yellowtail, and (I think) Talbots are among the nicer ones, while domino and striped are some of the meaner guys. Clownfish aren’t very friendly either…
The aggression isn’t too far off from many cichlids and is manageable, it just takes the right selection of fish. I wouldn’t go mixing a firefish with one, but something like a dwarf angel or sixline wrasse should handle itself fine.

Gpdriftwood

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 26, 2017
Super easy to keep, super hearty fish. If u decide to get more expensive fish down the road, they may get picked on. As stated, depends on which species of damsel. Dominos were the most aggressive of the species i used to keep.

aussieman57

Aimara
MFK Member
Nov 11, 2021
Blue damsels get along just fine and are a nice looking fish. One of the guys at Mosquito management here in SW FL used to keep a tank of Blue Damsels and fed them live mosquito larvae daily. Very interactive little fish and fun to watch.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store