Good SA Catfish for medium community

jandb

Piranha
MFK Member
Jan 18, 2009
Lewis Center, OH
Hello, I’m growing out hero liberifer, Manacapuru red back scalare and geophagus sveni for my 8x30”x2, 300 gallon hardscaped tank. I initially thought about doing a shoal of larger Corys but as the severums get bigger I’m not sure they would work. What do you think? I don’t want something that will hide all day.

Hendre

Bawitius
Staff member
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2016
South Africa
Port hoplo catfish are always cool to have! I quite like them and they are quite busy (Based on the tank at London zoo)

Aqua_Bankie

Exodon
MFK Member
Feb 13, 2018
Glasgow
If you like corys consider the Hognose Brochis (brochis multiradiatus) these are a shoaling species and grow large and chunky enough to avoid being food for a Severum, i have kept them with Jack Dempseys and Severums in the past no problems

as Suggested Hoplo Catfish Hoplo (megalechis thoracata) very active and always on the go ,can become quite tame, do well in groups or alone.

These are just two members of the Callichthyidae family you also have Pimelodus family among many others from SA .

One of my favs is Ornate Pim's (pimelodus ornatus) which do well in groups active thou very boisterious around feeding times and a bit skittish , but would do well i a 300 gallon tank.

You have plenty of options with SA catfish

thebiggerthebetter

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
Agree. The field is huge, from plecos and portholes to four-line pims and Platysilurus mucosus.

If you wanted cory but they are too small, browse through small-to-medium Doradidae, e.g., from the Doras and Hassar genus and others.

altums85

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Dec 6, 2018
if you're set on cory's you can start off by buying a small group and see what happens. thats what i would do. did u get the red backs from jeff? i thought about getting a group. can you post some pics of the red back angels?

Reactions: jandb

jandb

Piranha
MFK Member
Jan 18, 2009
Lewis Center, OH
if you're set on cory's you can start off by buying a small group and see what happens. thats what i would do. did u get the red backs from jeff? i thought about getting a group. can you post some pics of the red back angels?
That’s kind of what I e been thinking.

Sure thing. I got them, the liberifers and most of the sveni from Jeff. They’re growing out nicely.

9C1879B5-6B36-4EF9-8FA6-0EBA3188E002.jpeg 1907B6B1-8233-4574-87A8-B8E4C6AAD981.jpeg 01B97E64-9DC1-42CB-9CB4-3B6158EEB0FA.jpeg 830158B9-FC5E-4E10-BE50-DE5D1C6B6C33.jpeg A9798C59-E601-4EFF-AD9C-60142CCB9D83.jpeg

jandb

Piranha
MFK Member
Jan 18, 2009
Lewis Center, OH
If you like corys consider the Hognose Brochis (brochis multiradiatus) these are a shoaling species and grow large and chunky enough to avoid being food for a Severum, i have kept them with Jack Dempseys and Severums in the past no problems

as Suggested Hoplo Catfish Hoplo (megalechis thoracata) very active and always on the go ,can become quite tame, do well in groups or alone.

These are just two members of the Callichthyidae family you also have Pimelodus family among many others from SA .

One of my favs is Ornate Pim's (pimelodus ornatus) which do well in groups active thou very boisterious around feeding times and a bit skittish , but would do well i a 300 gallon tank.

You have plenty of options with SA catfish
I agree. I really like ornate pins but already have one. I really would like a nice, big shoal of Cory’s.

Aqua_Bankie

Exodon
MFK Member
Feb 13, 2018
Glasgow
If your after giant Corys I would defiantly consider the Brochis species , they look and behave like corys , the Main difference is Brochis grow larger and have a different fin arrangement , but to most they look like large cory cats

Brochis splendens is the most common and easily available , I have kept this and multiradiatus which are harder to find at various points with Cichlids and other catfish without problem, if you hunt about you may find Britskii I personally have never kept these but like there brother's they would be peaceful and active

I have attached a pic of my old Hognose brochis

WP_20180408_10_13_58_Pro.jpg

altums85

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Dec 6, 2018
red backs are looking good! almost bought some from jeff. might think about them again after seeing yours. and like other above said. u can get brochis species of cory's there are 3 specie's of brochis i believe that get big. i saw some the other day at my local fish store and they are absolutely MASSIVE! but not my cup of tea. i prefer the smaller ones because they look a lot nicer. i've seen them go for 15-30 each depending on the species but all 3 giant species look very similar.

you have a big tank i think the cory's should be ok. the hero liberifer mouth dont seem to be big enough to swallow the cory's? if u have small dither fish with the hero and if they leave them alone then smaller cory's should be fine. a big group of same specie cory's in a large tank is a stunning view.

by the way are the angel's showing any red on their shoulders yet?

Reactions: jandb
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store