Good Science is Repeatable

CHOMPERS

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 28, 2006
Sunnyvale Trailer Park
Potts050;531026; said:
Chompers me thinks your on to something here!

Interesting that the Pothos seemed to obliterate the nitrates and consume the ammonia (same as the aquatics) even though it had less light. This is not a surprise since terestrial plants can respirate more efficiently than their water logged cousins and generally have higher metabolisms.

I also notice that the nitrite level was reduced significantly compared to the aquatic plants. I wonder if the roots of your pothos are colonized by BB that can consume the nitrate and convert it to nitrate for the benefit of the pothos. Kind of a symbiotic relationship between BB and pothos. Habitat and oxygen(?) in exchange for nitrates. This has been demonstrated in some terestrial plants such as clover and peanuts as examples. But what is going on with the pH?

You may be on the virge of the next generation of biofiltration. I suggest developing a protocol for an experiment and getting volunteers like me to attempt to duplicate your results.............Anyone else want to play?
As for the higher metabolisms, I have noticed the pothos grows like a weed. I started with only six leaves and it is ready to unroll the eighth. I was also interested with the ammonia and nitrite consumption. I am aware of plants consuming ammonia (or maybe bacteria in the soil having something to do with it). The containers were not totally clean and I am sure had healthy coatings of benifficial bacteria. It is evidenced in one of the secondary readings when the ammonia went from .5 to zero and the nitrites went from .5 to 1.0 ; the ammonia was converted to nitrite but the nitrite was not consumed by the plant nor was the nitrite converted to nitrate. And I have no guesses on the pH.

Potts050

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Aug 15, 2006
Brantford Ontario Canada
I think the nitrite gobbling bacteria on the healthy pothos root hypothesis is worth further study.
Unfortunately for me as yet I do not have one. Here is what I plan to do to test the notion. See what you think.
I have two identical 20 gallon grow out tanks with established sponge filters, substrates and temperature control. The tanks are illuminated with difuse flourescant lighting using 2 x 40Watt growlamps. The duration of illumination and aeration is independantly controlled by a programmable logic controller.
1. Establish healthy Pothos plants growing through the cover of one tank with the only source of nutrient and water coming from within the tank.

2. In a control tank establish a healthy mat of Java moss with the same limitations.

3. Once the root system of the pothos is sufficiently established (say a couple of weeks after anchoring the plants in the cover) conduct a 90% water change with water from a 125 gallon grow out tank, to ensure water parameters are as closely matched as possible.

4. Now here is the disgusting part for those who are squeemish. Eat a large T-bone steak, drink a couple Molson Canadian, and collect about a litre of my own special blend of urine. Introduce 500 ml of urine into each tank. Wait 24 hours and measure ammonia, nitrite and nitrate levels in the tanks.

5. Subject the tanks to continuous aeration and illumination for a two week period. Measure and record the values from each tank daily using three samples from each tank.

6. Chart and discuss the results.

The only real challenge I see with this experiment is my daughters cat, Wanker. He likes to meddle in everything aquatic.

Give me your input before I put your ideas to the test.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store