Good things to feed plecos

davo

Aimara
MFK Member
Jan 9, 2006
England
i think it is better to put the veggies in raw. i personally saw no benefit in the fish to having them steamed.

with your bristlenose, feed before lights out, they are nocturnal. They are mainly vegetarians and need plenty of roughage and get stomach disorders with meat only, although need the occasional meal of live food or fresh (prawns, worms etc), but veggies make up most of their diet. all the veggies mentioned are good, and bogwood IMO is a must.

joeytoe

Semper fidelis
MFK Member
Sep 10, 2005
Canton, Massachusetts USA
My plecos have eaten cucumbers, yams, an any uneaten food thats left over.

davo

Aimara
MFK Member
Jan 9, 2006
England
soak them in water for a while. Place under a rock or wedge in or under bogwood (which if you have a more herbivorous pleco you should probably have anyway). i dont even bother trying to get them to sink anymore, they eat them all the same, none of my other fish wants it anyway. other than that try using more potatoe, it sinks as do other veggies.

For things like cucumber and zucchini if you microwave briefly or blanch them, they sink more readily. try shelled peas too, they are great (take the inside out of cooked peas) they are nutritious. If you are interested fish shops do sell a kind of screw that you screw into zucc or cuc and being made of metal, sinks it.

WyldFya

Baryancistrus demantoides
MFK Member
Dec 23, 2005
Moscow, ID
You can also just get a stainless steel screw.

I personally just use a seaweed clip for my zucchini.

WyldFya

Baryancistrus demantoides
MFK Member
Dec 23, 2005
Moscow, ID
S13biker_808;516003; said:
what about a 5inch common. i feed it zucchini........he dont touch algae wafers.

also i have a 2 1/2 inch bristle nose who doesn't like zucchini nor algae wafers

thanks for starting this thread.......sticky>?
For both your fish they should still both be on a heavily vegetable matter diet. Turn the lights off right after you put the veggies or algae wafers in the tank. If they are not eating them still it may just be due to a large amount of algae already present in the tank.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store