Good way to harvest baby bowfin??

chefrific

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 14, 2007
Georgia
Any good recomendations on catching baby 1" - 2" bowfin?? I thought maybe a minnow trap, but does anyone know of a proven method?

WckedMidas

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Mar 31, 2005
BODYMORE MD
now ive never tried fishing for them. Ive never actualy seen one. But i have done research in the past on them. They love slow moveing bacwatter areas. like marshs and stuff sorta like lungfish. But not as stagnet. You could try takeing a minnow trap type made out of wire place it with the top of it sticking out the watter a inch or two. And useing tadpoles and baby bluegills as bait inside it.

killerfish

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jan 30, 2007
colorado
cast net works the best for catching any fish from the wild as long as the fish are small its a big section of webbing with wights on the ends to make it sink faster you throw it out and pull it in as fast as you can check a hunting / fishing store for them useually pretty cheap

rjmtx

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 14, 2007
Louisiana
If you want to actively fish for them (instead of trapping, which isn't a bad idea), I'd try jigging around debris in backwaters or pools with some stinkbait or cut or live minnows. I've never hooked little bowfin, but I've never really tried. Try rivers or creeks rather than reservoirs, because of early kill-offs (by govt agencies during impoundment) and aggressive stocking of gamefish that goes on.

philliptobin

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 17, 2005
Indiana
We catch them in the shallows (especially where it is rocky or weedy) with fish tank nets. Sometimes we get them in the seine, but I really don't think there is a proven method for catching them.

gar man

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 9, 2008
iowa
hey does anyone here know where to find baby bowfin around coulcil bluffs iowa?

teleost

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 9, 2005
where I lay my hat
gar man;2054999; said:
hey does anyone here know where to find baby bowfin around coulcil bluffs iowa?
They don't exists naturally near Council Bluffs Iowa. So I'd say you really don't have much of a chance finding them locally in the wild.

catman

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jun 14, 2008
Indiana
philliptobin;1682554; said:
We catch them in the shallows (especially where it is rocky or weedy) with fish tank nets. Sometimes we get them in the seine, but I really don't think there is a proven method for catching them.

Where do u find them around Indiana, I live in southeast Indiana and have never seen one here.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store