Goonch Catfish (Bagarius) ID and Care Guide 1.01

Chicxulub

Hand of the King
Administrator
Aug 29, 2009
I crash at the K-Pg
So my large Bagarius could be one of two species?
Yes.

I've been using B. lica for most of my work previously because I consider those two populations to be the same species, but there was not a consensus on that among the people who reviewed my work. While I consider the fish to all be B. lica with B. nieuwenhuisii as the synonym, I couldn't prove it convincingly enough for the others to draw a consensus. Henceforth, it was accepted as a unique morph, but which species it/they is/are isn't agreed upon.

Aw3s0m3

Piranha
MFK Member
May 6, 2012
Over there
Yes! It's finally out!

You my friend have done an amazing job with this writeup and I don't think anyone could have done a better job. And you also reminded me of my thread which I completely forgot about and will update right now! Once again. Great! Just great!

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Chub_by

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 30, 2012
Europe
Brilliant writeup.
Work on this genus definately isn't done though and I'd be surprised if B. Suchus isn't reclassified. It's too different.

LiamIrons

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Sep 14, 2012
Nottingham,Uk
My friend should be expecting his shipment of goonches soon... I will try to take photos of them all it will probably be beneficial to show the physical descriptions of each species.

Chicxulub

Hand of the King
Administrator
Aug 29, 2009
I crash at the K-Pg
hey rob i'm getting one of those new bagarius sp red river that wes has in tomorrow would it help if I post pictures here for you?

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app
Absolutely! I have a suspicion that they may be what I call Bagarius yarrelli, but that's just a guess. It could even be something undescribed. I'd LOVE to see one! I've never seen a goonch out of that part of the world before; I didn't even know that they ranged that far north. I guess if there was ever an importer to discover a new species, Wes would be the one!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store