Goonch Catfish (Bagarius) ID and Care Guide 1.01

Aw3s0m3

Piranha
MFK Member
May 6, 2012
Over there
Very interesting. Looks almost exactly like an HLG but a different collection point than where they're normally found. Do you see the red tint that Wes pointed out at all? I know pics make it hard to see the true colors

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Chicxulub

Hand of the King
Administrator
Aug 29, 2009
I crash at the K-Pg
Thanks for the pics, Collin.

The first and third fish look rather like sp. 'Indochina' to me, though clearer pics and a few more inches on the fish are needed to be sure. The pics of the Red River fish aren't clear enough to be sure what it is.

cgibby

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Oct 27, 2011
U.S.
your welcome rob just hope this isn't derailing the thread at all I wish I had something other than a phone camera because there is more red and orange in that fish than what shows up on the pics it does have a different shape to the head than the other two

Chicxulub

Hand of the King
Administrator
Aug 29, 2009
I crash at the K-Pg
your welcome rob just hope this isn't derailing the thread at all I wish I had something other than a phone camera because there is more red and orange in that fish than what shows up on the pics it does have a different shape to the head than the other two

No worries about a derail. I have the ability to clean these threads up for archival purposes if they get off track, but when we're discussing the ID of a new type of these fish, that doesn't strike me as a derail. :)

If you wish to try to get better pics, try these tips:

• First, pre-focus your camera on the fish by tapping the screen where you want it to focus. This will prevent it from trying to focus when you hit the picture button.

• Second, get as much lighting as possible. I like to use clamp lamps that I use in my garage to get supplemental lighting. I shine them through the front of the tank, though doing that CAN give bad reflections. You need to get close to the tank.

• Third, and probably most importantly, you need to make sure that your camera is perpendicular to the glass. If you're shooting through the glass at anything other than a 90* angle, quality decreases very quickly. A picture from 80* instead of 90 is noticeably worse, and a pic from 50* or so is essentially useless.​

Good luck!

Swflfisheries

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 27, 2016
You said max size of indochina is unknown idk if that's been discovered since but Could this be a giant indochina seems much to dark to be anything else and could give good insight as to how big they truly get feel free to remove if unnecessary

IMG_1014.JPG

Last edited:

jonah h2o

Candiru
MFK Member
Aug 2, 2016
san diego California
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store