Got my first arowana. What should be the basic do's & dont's

Deadliestviper7

The Necromancer
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2016
Tight fitting lid is a must, make sure it is secure or weighted down as well. Yes, it will jump. Not an if, but a when.

I fed mine pellets and the occasional market shrimp, grew like a weed.

Ive heard of people keeping something like a ping pong ball floating in the tank to prevent drop-eye, so maybe do some research into that.

Good luck!
Drop eye is caused by a high fat diet (usually pellets), that causes fat build up in the upper eye, making the fish look up isn't going to do anything.

Deadliestviper7

The Necromancer
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2016
Tight fitting lid is a must, make sure it is secure or weighted down as well. Yes, it will jump. Not an if, but a when.

I fed mine pellets and the occasional market shrimp, grew like a weed.

Ive heard of people keeping something like a ping pong ball floating in the tank to prevent drop-eye, so maybe do some research into that.

Good luck!
Drop eye is caused by to much fat in diet (usually pellets), that causes fat build up in the upper eye, making the fish look up isn't going to do anything.

WOLF2013

Banned
MFK Member
May 2, 2018
Lake Worth Florida
www.youtube.com
Do's:
1.) Have a tight fitting lid covering your tank at ALL TIMES! Arowanas are jumpers by nature and if they see a fly or insect they will jump. Or they will just jump from natural instinct. Often times, I've found too that aggressive tankmates or bad water parameters can cause them to jump.
2.) So that leads me to tankmates. AVOID the aggressive cichlids. Keep with things semi aggressive like oscars, pbass, silver dollars. You will need a large tank,
3,) BIG TANK!
4.) Feed market shrimp, carnivore sticks, and insects.
Dont's
Leave the lid open at all!
House with aggressive fish

Newbkeeper

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 29, 2018
in
My baby aro is eating great. I am feeding it twice a day in small portions. To get an idea i fed him as much as he can eat 1st since i kept it hungary for 48 hrs from the time i added it. Now i feed him 50 to 60% of what he can eat, twice daily. I am feeding dried shrimps and bloodworms atm.
I just feel he/she is scared of people. Whem i am not around it swims well near the top. But when people come around he will be near the filter.

Reactions: tlindsey

Deadliestviper7

The Necromancer
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2016
My baby aro is eating great. I am feeding it twice a day in small portions. To get an idea i fed him as much as he can eat 1st since i kept it hungary for 48 hrs from the time i added it. Now i feed him 50 to 60% of what he can eat, twice daily. I am feeding dried shrimps and bloodworms atm.
I just feel he/she is scared of people. Whem i am not around it swims well near the top. But when people come around he will be near the filter.
He'll get over it, when young wild baby aros are usually in groups.

Newbkeeper

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 29, 2018
in
Do put it in a tank that you could live in.
Don't put it in anything else.

Jk.

But seriously...
ya sure. i get that.
wats up with the differentiation of wave function though. is it quanum mechanics lol.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store