Got my sand in the tank....

smoochxoxo

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 22, 2008
NY
How long should I wait before turning the filter on??? The sand (pool filter sand) has settled fairly quick but it is still a bit cloudy i guess the term would be...I don't want it to harm the fiter as it is brand spanky new... :)
It is an AC 20 (for 10 gallon tank).
Thanks
Hugs
Jenn

Hawkfish3.0

Piranha
MFK Member
Feb 19, 2007
Marlton, NJ
I turned mine on immediately following putting the sand in...

up to you.

scubasteve06

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2008
SC
youtube.com
I waited about 2-3 hours for it to settle and see through the other side of the tank fairly well.

Gee

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 15, 2005
San Bernardino, CA
You could swipe a net through the water and see how much grit gets collected. If none, I'd say it's good to go.

We need pics.:)

smoochxoxo

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 22, 2008
NY
ok filter is running, hopefully correctly. I have never owned an AC filter so....lol
I don't have plants yet for it, I am planning on some live plants that would require lower light and a little easy to care for since I suck at taking care of any type of plant. So right now I have 2 fake plants that I took out of storage that I had when I first set up my 5G. I also put in a clay pot so there would atleast be a decoration in there for a fish to hide in. I seeded the tank with gravel and the blue spongee filter from my top fin filter...
Now I am just waiting to figure out if I should transfer a fish over yet from my other tank. I had to pick up the Powder Blue gourami so i added it to the 5 gallon with the white clouds, (heat is at 76 in that tank so I hope it will be fine for the moment...He is going to be my main squeeze in my tank. Actually my daughter says its hers and his name is YoGo er something like that. I couldn't understand and when I said whatttttt? she said never mind. lmao
When should I add him since the tank is seeded...should I wait till tonight or do it now?

BushFishRox

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 7, 2007
Mississauga, Ont Canada
you should transfer right away, so the fish can produce food for the BB so it doest die.

smoochxoxo

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 22, 2008
NY
Well mr. Fish is in his tank. He was hiding alot last night but I figured as much, kept all the lights off and let it settle in for the rest of the night.
This morning OHGO (named by my daughter) is seemingly happy swimming the whole tank and ate some too. Sooo I think we are on a good track.
I added the seeded gravel yesterday morning along with swishing a blue filter sponge from my other tank. I also added Cycle...I know some say that stuff is junk but it worked for my 5G so what the heck can't hurt to have in this one. Will check the param's later to make sure all is well but I can't imagine too much with one fish.
Hugs
Jenn
Oh and will take some pics later too,...be on the lookout :D

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store