gouramis

Marez615

Feeder Fish
Jun 17, 2019
Anyone know if these are Gouramis? If they are what sex? All the info I see online is kinda contradicting. Any help is appreciated.

C244C7A8-1E4A-4CA0-94A8-F565DB91C1A1.jpeg

70B6F808-45ED-4819-BAE4-DA69A27D60A4.jpeg

Reactions: tlindsey

esoxlucius

Balaclava Bot Butcher
MFK Member
Dec 30, 2015
UK
Rocksor sound dead on to me, but I dislike common names, because they change depending in location...so
Trichogaster lalius
and Trichopterus trichopterus
Haha, you've got me thinking now. I wonder how many hobbyists have gone into a typical LFS and asked for fish by their "proper" names. And I wonder how many replies have been, "I beg your pardon sir".:grinyes:

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
Yes, many LFSs can't tell a JD (Rocio) from a FM (Thorichthys), or even that they are not "mixed Africans".
That's one of the reasons I stopped buying from any stores that didn't use proper scientific names.
I would however ....on occasion, window shop because sometimes they'd screw up and sell something I knew was rare, and call it a JD, selling it cheap at a JD price.

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
Yes, many LFSs can't tell a JD (Rocio) from a FM (Thorichthys), or even that they are not "mixed Africans".
That's one of the reasons I stopped buying from any stores that didn't use proper scientific names.
I would however ....on occasion, window shop because sometimes they'd screw up and sell something I knew was rare, and call it a JD, selling it cheap at a JD price.

This is so true. Lfs had an aquarium labeled Laced Catfish and I bought a Synodontis Angelicus for $6.99. It was shipped in together with the Lace Catfish and the lfs employee didn't know what the Synodontis Angelicus was.

Last edited:

esoxlucius

Balaclava Bot Butcher
MFK Member
Dec 30, 2015
UK
This is so true. Lfs had an aquarium labeled Laced Catfish and I bought a Synodontis Angelicus for $6.99. It was shipped in together with the Lace Catfish and the lfs employee didn't know what the Synodontis Angelicus was.
Thing is, your typical employee of a LFS don't know a great deal anyway, I think most of us have experiences with stores where their staff don't have a clue. So expecting them to get their heads round the scientific names of the fish they are selling is a non starter.

I'll be honest with you though, sometimes i'll be reading a thread on here and a sexy scientific sounding name of a fish will come up and i'm thinking, what the hell is that! And i'll have to google it to see what it is.

But I understand what duanes is saying. There is only one scientific name per fish, yet there can be several common names for the same fish depending where you're from, which can muddy the waters somewhat. A good example would be the dennison barb (sahyadria denisonii). It has half a dozen or so different common names.

I'll be honest with you here, again. I had to look that up!!! :grinno:

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store