Grass questions /recommendations

Leebtattoos

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jul 18, 2012
Lampasas, Texas
I am going to be wrapping up a 520 gallon tank pretty soon and would really like to have a large area of carpeted grass. The tank is 30" tall 48 front to back. What would the experts suggest? Dwarf hairgrass? Also would led lighting be sufficient? And finally, is co2 absolutely necessary or would fertilizing be sufficient. I'm not trying to cover the entire tank. Maybe a 2x3 foot area. Which I know is large, but hey, it's a big tank ‍♂

Thanks.

Leebtattoos

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jul 18, 2012
Lampasas, Texas
Right on. Yeah I like that for sure too. Beautiful tank. Thanks for the reply and pic

I've been out of the game for a few years. Are these led lighting systems good for depth penetration? I know led is efficient and bright. But that's all I know from experience In other products unrelated.

Try dwarf sagittaria. Easiest ground cover to grow.
View attachment 1285924
View attachment 1285925

fisheatfish

Aimara
MFK Member
Mar 19, 2008
OC, CA
Right on. Yeah I like that for sure too. Beautiful tank. Thanks for the reply and pic

I've been out of the game for a few years. Are these led lighting systems good for depth penetration? I know led is efficient and bright. But that's all I know from experience In other products unrelated.
Glad you like it...thank you. Dwarf sag is probably the least demanding ground cover I've dealt with...only requires low light and a well fertilized substrate. They're doing well in a setup I have with pool filter sand as well. Having said that, what substrate have you chosen...520 gallon is big and considering how tall it is I wouldn't go cheap on lighting. Co2 is not required but definitely helps.

image.jpeg
With CO2 injection, fluval stratum substrate and Finnex LED lighting.

image.jpeg
Two week old setup. No CO2, pool filter sand and same lighting. Excuse the loose plants that appear out of place...they're there to help absorb the excess nutrients in this new setup. Doing well so far...no algae issues.

One thing about lighting, I remove the glass lids to allow better light penetration. Also, a film develops with little to no surface agitation which prevents full lighting to penetrate to the bottom.

Leebtattoos

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jul 18, 2012
Lampasas, Texas
Glad you like it...thank you. Dwarf sag is probably the least demanding ground cover I've dealt with...only requires low light and a well fertilized substrate. They're doing well in a setup I have with pool filter sand as well. Having said that, what substrate have you chosen...520 gallon is big and considering how tall it is I wouldn't go cheap on lighting.

Nice. Actually planning on a lot of pool sand but was going to mix a gravel in with the sand in the areas I want a solid bed of grass.

I like shadows in tanks so I'm decorating with driftwood and a rock shelf on the other side of the tank, allowing me to get away with less plant light. But on the other side, I am trying to make it look like that first drop off where there's very minimal debris and just the grass so I'll splurge on quality lights for that 4x4' area.

Going for a similar look as this...

IMG_6573.JPG

Hendre

Bawitius
Staff member
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2016
South Africa
For really lush growth of any sort means co2 really really helps. Pygmy chain swords are also nice lush little carpeting plants.

Pomatomus

Piranha
MFK Member
Jul 7, 2009
Sarasota, FL
I like dwarf sagittaria and dwarf hairgrass for low-tech setups. I grew hairgrass in a 10 gallon for years without CO2 or ferts, but every system is different.

My real favorite is dwarf 4-leaf clover, but IME that requires intense lighting and some CO2 as well.

Fat Homer

Mmmmm... Doughnuts
Staff member
MFK Member
Mar 16, 2009
----
I like dwarf sagittaria and dwarf hairgrass for low-tech setups. I grew hairgrass in a 10 gallon for years without CO2 or ferts, but every system is different.

My real favorite is dwarf 4-leaf clover, but IME that requires intense lighting and some CO2 as well.
I had very little luck growing hairgrass in a basic 60G setup... seemed to need fairly strong lighting and ferts to keep it going..,

In my old hightech 50G hairgrass took off like no tmr...

J. H.

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Oct 14, 2016
If your keeping gars, cold water and a lot of agitation may get you better CO2 levels and growth than injection. It's got to do with stuff like DO levels and outgassing. I don't fully understand it, but it works. You could also look into the Dry Start Method, where you start the tank without water to take advantage of the CO2 and extra light you get from growing out in the air, and the Walstad Method, that uses garden soil to instant cycle the tank, keep the plants fed with their macros and micros, and do a bit of denitration. The planted tank thing can be as elaborate and expensive as you want it to be, but the two are mutually exclusive. The plants can either care for the tank for you, be pretty additions or the main point - you get to pick.

Reactions: Leebtattoos

Leebtattoos

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jul 18, 2012
Lampasas, Texas
If your keeping gars, cold water and a lot of agitation may get you better CO2 levels and growth than injection. It's got to do with stuff like DO levels and outgassing. I don't fully understand it, but it works. ...
Thanks. And thanks to everyone for their responses.

My plan now is to use two fluval 36" fresh and plant led strips on the side I'm planning on growing the majority of the plants. My kids are 30x30" so no point in doing larger. After talking with my (closest lfs) I think I'll try some val. Then on the other side that will resemble of a drop off, I have several light strips that will work. I like having shadowed areas and asymmetry. So I think this set up will work. Well, I hope so haha.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store