green hair algae, hold my hand bc it wont go away...

AquaMister

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 6, 2010
Denton Tx
ive got a planted tank and have not been able to rid of green hair algae.

i dont even feed my plants anymore...

ive got co2 injection, Planted plus LED fixture. the tank was good for a year or more prior, but the last 4-5 months this green stringy algae has appeared and wont subside. (its a work tank in our break area, so it gets neglected). occupants (red cherry shrimp, amano shrimp, and some CAE seem fine)

i think it might have started after i topped off with a 5gal bottle of 'Nestly Pure Water'. normally i top with RO water from home or sometime in a pinch tap water (very seldomly has that occured).

my lights are on for 6hours a day and have been for over a month now.

what can and should i do??!

Fat Homer

Mmmmm... Doughnuts
Staff member
MFK Member
Mar 16, 2009
----
Hair algae is a true PITA to deal with, so i feel your pain...

First off though, what sort of plants have you got in the tank at the moment, and what sort of substrate are you using???

I know you said you dont dose any ferts, which maybe the problem why the algae took over...
Since there probably isnt enough nutirents for the plants, but just enough for the algae, and now the algae has taken over...

As for ways to battle it...

Depending how bad it is, i've in the past used Seachem Excel placed into a syringe and directly applied it to effected areas during water changes when water level is low...

Now this is far from ideal as more senstive plants may take a hit, but tougher plants such as anubias etc should be fine...

The other option i think was to use peroxide applied in a similar fashion, but this method you'll need to wait for more info, as i've never done it myself...

Reactions: GamerChick5567

fisheatfish

Aimara
MFK Member
Mar 19, 2008
OC, CA
Hydrogen peroxide is very effective in treating hair algae. I usually spot treat the affected area with a dropper. Best to remove and treat out of water with a spray bottle or dip. Some plants may be sensitive to the reaction like most bacopas. Will not harm any livestock.

Reactions: GamerChick5567

HarleyK

Canister Man
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Aug 17, 2005
USA
Two words:
Jordanella Floridae.

American flag fish. Get some, and your hair algae will be history.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store