Green sunfish tank mates?

Anthony Nolet

Candiru
MFK Member
Aug 12, 2012
Oregon
No, an adult male and an adult female have to mate to make a nest and if you only one fish it shouldn't happen
This isn’t completely true. I had a bluegill in a tank with just a big yellow bullhead and it made nests, and I don’t think it was trying to hook up with the catfish lol

Reactions: Deadliestviper7

Anthony Nolet

Candiru
MFK Member
Aug 12, 2012
Oregon
No, an adult male and an adult female have to mate to make a nest and if you only one fish it shouldn't happen
This isn’t completely true. I had a bluegill in a tank with just a big yellow bullhead and it made nests, and I don’t think it was trying to hook up with the catfish lol

divemaster99

Dovii
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2014
Pittsburgh, PA
OP pics aren't showing up for me. However, if they are Green Sunfish then here's my advice.

Females are much more timid than males, but still have no problem holding their own. I used to keep my female Green with a school of Creek Chubs that were twice her size, and she still threw them around like ragdolls whenever they got too close to her.

Males are pretty much demons with fins, so either keep them solo or with a large school of Sunfish (6-8+) to spread out aggression.

Most dither fish will work fine as long as they're fine in cooler water, are relatively tough/durable, and won't fit in the mouth of the Sunfish.

Deadliestviper7

The Necromancer
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2016
Ok here's my in put (as I have kept both greens and bluegill,but can't see your pics). Bluegill will get along with most things that don't fit in their mouth,green sunfish on the other hand will kill more timid/weak fish that enter their territory(green sunfish will generally defend a area of about 1 by 1 foot) tankmates can include most cichlids ,eclipse catfish,bullheads , tilapia etc. tempature doesn't matter much u can keep them in tropical,coolwater or whatever. They'll eat pellets,flakes,most live or meaty foods etc. hope that helps.

hi222

Feeder Fish
Dec 1, 2017
This is off topic but does anyone have eexperience with spotted gar because I was thinking about getting one but do you think it can live with 4 full grown green sunfish in a 55 gallon

Deadliestviper7

The Necromancer
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2016
This is off topic but does anyone have eexperience with spotted gar because I was thinking about getting one but do you think it can live with 4 full grown green sunfish in a 55 gallon
No spotted gar get from about 24 to 36 inches long.

CichlidCentrarchid

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 21, 2018
This is wrong.
Males make nests and wait for the females to show up.
Agreed. I've kept green sunfish for years, and one of them began preparing a redd (breeding nest) in the springtime, even though the only other fish in his tank was a black bullhead. It was a really cool behavior, even though he did not get the chance to actually spawn.

Hybridfish7

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Dec 4, 2017
in my experience with fishing, smaller bluegills will seldom eat smaller fish, only the REALLY big ones take live or minnow imitations. meanwhile, greens, especially the tiny ones and the massive ones, will eat anything that moves, smells good to them, or at least fits in their mouth. at the lake i fish, i'll sometimes see the reeds moving, only to find it's a tiny green sunfish getting angry and shaking the plant's roots around lol

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store