Green Sunfish

jhook

Polypterus
MFK Member
Mar 12, 2016
Bama
Hello everyone,
Just thought I'd share a picture of my Green Sunfish. I caught him in March of this year. I believe he's somewhere around the 7 - 8" mark and he has been doing great ever since! He was really easy to transition over to pellets. I put flake food in the tank and he ate it right away. Then I put in some pellets. Took him about a week before he started eating the pellets, but he has been happily eating and growing ever since. He has some aggressive tendencies, but as long as everyone leaves him alone, he leaves everyone else alone for the most part.
Anyway, here's a good shot of the fish attempting to act big and bad for me.
Green Sunfish2 10AUG16.jpg

jhook

Polypterus
MFK Member
Mar 12, 2016
Bama
That's a nice looking fish. I see his yellow edge to the fins is starting to come in. It really fascinates me how these greens can be the dullest, most drab fish one minute, then get excited and pop with color the next.

Deadliestviper7

The Necromancer
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2016
I love greens,my last one was ultragresive,but fun during live feedings(crickets and small fish were his favorites)

jhook

Polypterus
MFK Member
Mar 12, 2016
Bama
I'm kinda afraid to do live feeding with my fish. I think I read somewhere on here that it brings out aggression in the fish. I really don't need more of that coming out with a green sunfish and 2 oscars in the same tank. I usually stick to worms and pellets with some homemade stuff mixed in.

Drx6x

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Mar 19, 2015
IL
haven't noticed that in my tanks but they very rarely got live usually as a holiday thing. last Christmas got the tank 20 ghost shrimps halloween they got 10 rossies :)

jhook

Polypterus
MFK Member
Mar 12, 2016
Bama
haven't noticed that in my tanks but they very rarely got live usually as a holiday thing. last Christmas got the tank 20 ghost shrimps halloween they got 10 rossies :)
Good to know. I would like to feed live, but have been holding off. I may start once some of the fish in my other tank have fry.

predatorkeeper87

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2014
pennsylvania
I'm kinda afraid to do live feeding with my fish. I think I read somewhere on here that it brings out aggression in the fish. I really don't need more of that coming out with a green sunfish and 2 oscars in the same tank. I usually stick to worms and pellets with some homemade stuff mixed in.
I've never had an aggression issue from any of my natives or African predators due to live feedings. Maybe for the 15 seconds it takes both tanks to clear the 20-30 feeders I drop in, after that its business as usual.

Reactions: jhook

Deadliestviper7

The Necromancer
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2016
I've never had problems with agression feeding live vs not(unless u count the green sunfish stealing food from the turtle)

jhook

Polypterus
MFK Member
Mar 12, 2016
Bama
I'm going to try out the feeding live foods. gave them some crickets and worms last night and nothing untoward happened. I have a few sets of fish that will hopefully start breeding and give me a semi-continuous supply of fry. Once that starts, I should be set. These forums have warned me off from feeding pet store feeders ever again.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store