Green Terror diet

mdt62

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 10, 2011
Ashtabula
Im going to ask a question I'm sure has been beat to death but Im looking for as current an answer as possible. I have 8 1" to 1 1/2" green terrors and 2 cubans of the same size. I had been given pellets from my LFS, the smallest they had, but are too big for most of the fish to eat. I've been feeding flakes for the last 3 weeks but I want these guys to grow as much as possible. What are better options for them this young and then through out their lives?

Side note a guy I bought a tank from suggested Spectum grow. Anyone feed this?

C L O W N K N I F E

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Sep 10, 2011
Plumas Lake, California
Give them a varied diet and they will grow pretty fast. If the cichlid pellets are too big cut/break them in half or smaller pieces, also feed them cichlid flakes, frozen foods like brine shrimp, frozen mysis, bloodworms, etc

Aquanero

Global Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Feb 16, 2009
New Jersey
It has been my experiance with GTs that a staple diet of NLS is the best all around food you can feed them start with 1mm Thera +A then as they grow increase the pellet size accoringly ie 2mm then 3mm I don't feed even my largest GT which is now about 9" anything larger than the 3mm cichlid formula. You can treat with some skinned peas a couple of times a week or veggie wafers which are also good and can be broken up when the fish are small. Another good pellet is Hakari Bio-Gold+ which can also be used as a staple but my personal perferance is NLS. I start with the Thera +A and move them to the chiclid formula as they grow. One of the keys to the successful raising of GTs is to avoid too meaty of a diet as their digestive system needs to be kept moving and anything that is diffacult to digest especially when young leads to trouble such as bacterial infections of the digestive tract which is often missdiagnosed at internial parasites due to the presents of the "white stringy poop". The NLS Thera +A contains a higher level of garlic which creates an environment in the gut that inhibits the growth of undesireable bateria and IPs. Good luck.

I also think your cubans would benafit from the same diet.

mdt62

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 10, 2011
Ashtabula
It has been my experiance with GTs that a staple diet of NLS is the best all around food you can feed them start with 1mm Thera +A then as they grow increase the pellet size accoringly ie 2mm then 3mm I don't feed even my largest GT which is now about 9" anything larger than the 3mm cichlid formula. You can treat with some skinned peas a couple of times a week or veggie wafers which are also good and can be broken up when the fish are small. Another good pellet is Hakari Bio-Gold+ which can also be used as a staple but my personal perferance is NLS. I start with the Thera +A and move them to the chiclid formula as they grow. One of the keys to the successful raising of GTs is to avoid too meaty of a diet as their digestive system needs to be kept moving and anything that is diffacult to digest especially when young leads to trouble such as bacterial infections of the digestive tract which is often missdiagnosed at internial parasites due to the presents of the "white stringy poop". The NLS Thera +A contains a higher level of garlic which creates an environment in the gut that inhibits the growth of undesireable bateria and IPs. Good luck.
Thank you for such a detailed reply. Seems that guy knew what he was talking about after all. Ill look into NLS.

AcsFoolMike

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jan 17, 2011
Bethpage, NY

This...to the T.

jpierce3

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jul 22, 2011
Western Ohio
I would like to add, that I have also been throwing in some Hikari Cichlid Excel. Marketed more for African Cichlids, but my GT's really go for it.

messyfish

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 4, 2011
new york
High spirulina diet is the best for green terrors, in nature they graze on algae at the bottom of rivers, i've always had the best luck with them on an almost entirely veggie diet. They'll stay very healthy too.

k0y0te

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jun 8, 2009
Florida
www.myspace.com
For my GT, i feed mine Hikari pellets 3x a week, peas, veggi tablets, frozen blood worms, spirulina, and frozen shrimp. GT are slow growers regaurdless how healthy they are.

mdt62

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 10, 2011
Ashtabula
Been feeding nothing but NLS since this post was started. Thanks everyone for their imput. All fish are very healthy, growing and colorful!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store