Green Terror Gender

marcus21321

Feeder Fish
Oct 18, 2021
Can anyone help determine the sex of this green terror? i got it as a gift but i’m dying to know if it’s male or female. Fish is about 3.5 inches. Also the fins looks backwards on this fish. image.jpg

stiker

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 9, 2014
Agreed, male. The reticulations in the dorsal and anal fin is a give away of male Rivulatus.

As mentioned, the fish is very thin. I’d also deworm the fish and feed it well

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
Although its a little underfed, I'm not sure that's such a bad thing. In nature these cichlids don't eat everyday, and its part of their evolution to live that way.
I feed my Panamanian Andinoacara only 2 days out of 3 sometimes less.
Just to give a general Andinoacara gender reference.
1AC65D79-9376-40AA-BBFC-6C42827C5D7C_1_201_a.jpeg
Male above, female below
64EF792E-9618-4A66-86F1-F73449FD71CC_1_201_a.jpeg
Note the males fin extensions are longer, on the female the blue spangling below the eye, and on gill plate more extensive.

neutrino

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jan 22, 2013
Mid-Atlantic, US
Yes, looks male, and he does need to fill out some. A flat or even slightly concave belly is one thing, but as best as I can describe it is if you compare with Duane's photos, while the belly might be just slightly concave, the underside of the fish lines up smoothly with the lower jaw. Not the case with the green terror, his jaw is noticeably deeper than his body. So, no, you don't need or want a round belly but he does need some conditioning.

Hard to say about the fins without seeing them extended, but while he's small it almost looks like how the fins on some older males can curl up a bit. Hard to say if that's just something with him as an individual fish or if he's stunted, and older than his size implies.

Reactions: RD.

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
Hard to say if that's just something with him as an individual fish or if he's stunted, and older than his size implies.
I was thinking the same thing, this fish is definitely in need of some conditioning. Hopefully that's all it requires.

FYI - M marcus21321 PraziPro is designed to treat certain specific worms, but will not be effective against any form of spironucleus (hexamita) if things go that route. Personally I would give him (male) a round of NLS Hex-Shield if it was my fish. Good luck

Reactions: ..puSkar..
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store