Green terror internal parasites ?

JF Sirois

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Nov 13, 2015
I have a female Green terror that I bred myself so she has only been in my tanks. She is now in a 75 Gallon with a male. I bought this tank maybe 3-4 months ago used, it was sitting for a pretty long time so I doubt anything was in it. Also I cleaned everything very well. For the last week maybe a bit more, she isn't eating and looked really stressed, in the beginning I thought it was because all of her kids were eaten in one night and after that the male was a bit rough rough with her but she has a rock that only her can hide behind it. I waited thinking it would pass but she is not eating at all. She now has a bit of a sunken stomach but today I saw weird white poop coming out of her. The symptoms would seem to be for sure some internal parasites but the last fish I bought that they were in contact were 5 festaes I bought maybe 8 months ago and they are all 100% fine. So I just don't know how she could've gotten something. They are now with a senegalus bichir and a brown ghost knifefish. They are with me for over a year. Would you say it is internal parasites or it could be only stress, should I take out the male ? And if it is parasites how could I treat it ? It's the first time I would have had parasites in my fish room

BIG-G

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Dec 12, 2005
NC
https://discus.co/blog/diseases/white-feces/
I found this a while ago.
It deals with discus but I think some of the information is applicable to other species.
Either way it’s interesting.
Maybe some of the information will help you.

If I were in this situation I would move the female to a quarantine tank.
For two reasons, to remove her from possible stressful situation, and if you determined that medication is needed it’s easier to treat.

Reactions: MrsE88

MrsE88

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 9, 2017
I’d take BIG-G BIG-G advice and move her.

I had a new female terror that had white stringy poo when I got her. I use a microscope to look for parasites and found nothing. She too wasn’t eating.
But given time she came around and started to eat and poo normal. She is very healthy now.
If you do move her make sure the tank has decor so she feels comfortable. Mine hated having an empty tank.

JF Sirois

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Nov 13, 2015
It deals with discus but I think some of the information is applicable to other species.

For two reasons, to remove her from possible stressful situation, and if you determined that medication is needed it’s easier to treat.

I currently don't have a qt tank, I could take the male out and put it in another tank but chances would be that he is infected too, If not I could put the female in a maybe 2,5 x 1" bucket and treat her in there with a small filter and an airstone. If the male is perfectly fine can he still be infected ? He was eating yesterday and everything his coulours are all there and he is active

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
Sounds like IP due to not eating and sunken stomach. Treat with metronidazole to the tank. Feed some metroplex or hex shield (preferred). Soak the hex shield in Epsom salt solution( 1/2cup distilled water and 3/4 tsp Epsom salt and use sechem focus to bind it. Feed to the get). Then add some Epsom sat to the tank 1 tbsp per 5g.

Reactions: JF Sirois

JF Sirois

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Nov 13, 2015
Sounds like IP due to not eating and sunken stomach. Treat with metronidazole to the tank. Feed some metroplex or hex shield (preferred). Soak the hex shield in Epsom salt solution( 1/2cup distilled water and 3/4 tsp Epsom salt and use sechem focus to bind it. Feed to the get). Then add some Epsom sat to the tank 1 tbsp per 5g.
I bought some Metroplex and prazipro, could it be all right or I need to put some in its food ? She isn't eating so I don't think she'll eat the medicated food. Will it still work only with the medication in the water ?

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
I bought some Metroplex and prazipro, could it be all right or I need to put some in its food ? She isn't eating so I don't think she'll eat the medicated food. Will it still work only with the medication in the water ?
Specifically the metroplex works better when ingested. Add to the water and hope it gets some appetite back. If it does then try to feed with medicated food.

JF Sirois

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Nov 13, 2015
Specifically the metroplex works better when ingested. Add to the water and hope it gets some appetite back. If it does then try to feed with medicated food.
Perfect, I'll do that. And what about all the fish she's in right now, would they all be infected too ?

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
Perfect, I'll do that. And what about all the fish she's in right now, would they all be infected too ?
Would have to look at the stool of the other fish. Are the other fish having lack of appetite and similar probs as the gt. Can’t be sure.

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
Would have to look at the stool of the other fish. Are the other fish having lack of appetite and similar probs as the gt. Can’t be sure.
If it is then have to do the same as ur gt.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store