green terror laid eggs

tothna

Candiru
MFK Member
May 18, 2005
Ohio
I have a green terror that just laid eggs on a rock. I have never seen this before, I have only been into the fish thing for about a year now. I noticed it defending this rock and was wondering why, then I saw all these little pink eggs on the rock. I noticed that the green terror was real buddy buddy with my convict for awhile. Can a green terror and a convict mate? Is there anything I should do?

Nate_N_Nicole

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 17, 2005
Flat Rock, Mi
I would say they could but not sure if so they may not be fertle but if they are... After they hatch and are free swimming seperate them into there own tank... Use a spong filter so the babies dont get sucked up into a regular filter and feed Baby brine shrimp its the best for fry...

GOOD LUCK :woot: :clap :headbang2 :thumbsup:

Keep us posted

tothna

Candiru
MFK Member
May 18, 2005
Ohio
do they get it on before the eggs are laid to fertilize the eggs or do they lay the eggs and a male comes along and splooges on the eggs?

tothna

Candiru
MFK Member
May 18, 2005
Ohio
Also, I have a convict in the tank that keeps rubbing up against the female green terror. Is it possible for these fish to mate? Am I going to have Green Convicts?

joeytoe

Semper fidelis
MFK Member
Sep 10, 2005
Canton, Massachusetts USA
I had a similar experiance between a JD an a Salvaini.
Have you noticed one of the fish sortve hovering parralell to the eggs moving back n forth?
If you have then put the eggs into a seperate tank an wait n see.

You could end up with a cross breed, Ive seen this a few times.

tothna

Candiru
MFK Member
May 18, 2005
Ohio
the female is constantly hovering above the eggs and whenever any other fish (except the convict) comes near the eggs, the female chases it away
any idea how long the eggs will take to hatch?

hippiechick

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 7, 2005
Texas USA
aquatic-terrors.com
I would think it is entirely possible. What other fish are in the tank? If its just the con and the GT, leave the eggs where they are. With cichlids, its best to let the parents tend to the eggs and care for the fry for as long as possible. I've had 2 pairs of breeding GT's and its quite the site to watch them care for their babies.

Hi, btw. I'm new to the site and couldn't resist this topic for my first post!

tothna

Candiru
MFK Member
May 18, 2005
Ohio
I don't know, there is a really aggressive powder blue cichlid, a 3" jack dempsey, a 2"jack dempsey, a peacock and a blue crayfish. Can I put the eggs in another tank, and if so how do I do that without damaging the eggs?

hippiechick

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 7, 2005
Texas USA
aquatic-terrors.com
If you must move the eggs then the best thing I can suggest to you is to remove at least 50% of the water from the tank you're going to move the eggs into. refill it with water from the tank where the eggs are now. Move the parents in there with the eggs. They will probably freak out and eat the eggs but they will spawn again in a couple weeks time if they are in fact a mated pair. If you don't want to move the parents, I would place the eggs in the tank with an airstone trickling gently over them to simulate what the parents would be doing fanning the eggs.
You might also want to add some methelyne blue to the tank to try and prevent the eggs from getting fungus. I've done this with angelfish eggs and had some success with it.
Hope that helps some! :)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store