Green Terror or Malawi Peacocks

Tango374

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 3, 2005
MI
I've had a Malawi set up for a little under a year now. 55 Gallon tank and due to aggression and space issues I changed the stock to a couple male peacocks. I enjoyed this tank very much and recently decided to change the gravel to sand. I still don't know how it happened but I lost my favorite fish today. Containers I had for water changing maxed out while I was emptying the tank's water. I pulled out the old gravel and replaced it with the rinsed play sand but I was forced to doaround a 65% water change because I didn't have enough container space for water. That was last night. This morning I found my fish dead. I hate that because I'm bummed out, that fish was really cool. Now that my favorite fish is gone I'm trying to decide about going the south american route, or keeping with the African. With my tank size and the look of the fish, if I decide to go SA I've decided on keeping a GT or possibly a pair. If I stay with the Africans, they will most likely be 3-4 male peacocks. Need help deciding.

:rip

DSC02638.JPG

DSC02636.JPG

johno27

Piranha
MFK Member
Feb 21, 2006
Eastpointe MI
That was a very nice peacock sorry for your loss.

I would not be discouraged away for Africans because of it.

But on the other hand GT's are really awesome fish.

If i had a 55 I would do Africans Just because I could do more fish.

Good luck with whatever you decide :)

Tango374

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 3, 2005
MI
Thanx for the reply.
I gotta correct myself in that I said "maybe a pair"...not a good idea with my size tank.
But now I gotta say that I'm having thoughts about a red devil or Texas
What do you guys think?

OscarHook

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 19, 2005
Arkansas
I have both a 75g Mawali setup and a greent terror (White Saum) in my 120 with other SA cichlids. I really like my green Terror alot great personality spectacular colors, BUt in a 55g i could see a green terror and maybe a firemouth or convict only versus 5-6 male peacocks. IN my 75g i have 2 pairs of peacocks, Regal and Ruby Red and even at 3 inches there color is amazing, thank you New life Spectrum, so it will just be up to you but i would go african and just get a 75g or bigger for a few SA/CA cichlids.

rust9000

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Oct 18, 2005
Cumbria, UK
welll it depends if you want just one big fish, or a few smaller fish? if i was you i would buy a bigger tank and go for a breeding pair but thats just me. but from what you are telling me if you love malawies so much dont be discouraged by the fact that your fish die it happens to the best of us but its all in the hobby you cant keep the same fish alive as long as you live. so i would carry on with your malawies but try changing the set up. for example rather than using river rock use slate and rather than having 3 male peacocks have large male and 2 females. you know change the whole set up around, hope this helps. Rust

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store