Green Texas cichlid from JoeFish Aquatics at Fish Story

Rocksor

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Nov 28, 2011
San Diego
Carpinitis x blood parrot hybrid or a purposely bred short body carpintis.

I've always been confused by the different types of Texas. duanes duanes is this an H carpintus or maybe a hybrid?

View attachment 1392155

I had him about 5 years ago but sold him due to business crashing when we had some big political problems and I had to downsize. And just like yours Viktor he was one mean and territorial SOB, he eventually had to go solo.

Anyway just for fun try putting some blue-ish light on that tank buddy, then watch your Texas instantly turn into the most stunning fish in the tank, those micro pearls would really pop.

Reactions: islandguy11 and RD.

newworld

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Dec 14, 2008
chicago
There is only 1 Texas, cyanoguttatus, the only cichlid found in Texas, why Carpintis is called Texas makes no sense since it’s not found in Texas?

Reactions: islandguy11

islandguy11

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Sep 17, 2017
Thailand
For the vast majority of North Americans, it seems that Texas is easier to say and spell vs cyanoguttatus and/or carpintis. Hence Texas, Green Texas, and of course Duane's personal favourite, the Red Texas.
Yeah same here, anything that's not a Flowerhorn and has lots of pearls is a 'Texas' lol. Fact is most fish keepers in Asia (and LFS too) aren't too concerned about scientific names or regional differences. Makes shopping for fish sometimes tricky (as does the popularity of hybridization & experimentation with new lines), but just how it is.

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
Yeah same here, anything that's not a Flowerhorn and has lots of pearls is a 'Texas' lol. Fact is most fish keepers in Asia (and LFS too) aren't too concerned about scientific names or regional differences. Makes shopping for fish sometimes tricky (as does the popularity of hybridization & experimentation with new lines), but just how it is.

Yes, very true. And my apologies to Viktor, who is now going to be wondering what a Red Texas is. It is the resulting offspring from a "Texas" (typically a carpintis) crossed with what Duane refers to as a mutant, such as a "red" Blood Parrot/KKP/Mammon, etc. See below. The male carpintis in these photos is the descendant of wild fish collected in Laguna de Escondida, Mexico. The female, hard to say what/where she descended from, but she's sexy right? lol

1571324946151.png

1571325037069.png

Note: All mutant offspring produced by this pair were later culled in a proper and safe manner, they were eaten by other fish.

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
I've always been confused by the different types of Texas. duanes duanes is this an H carpintus or maybe a hybrid?

View attachment 1392155
Looks like cyanoguttus to me, but.....for decades aquarists considered Texas, and the misnomer "green Texas" variants of each other, while in reality are totally different species, and purposefully or ignorantly allowed them to hybridize, creating aquarium strains that have inter bred for decades. (and who knows how many other Herichthys were inadvertently thrown into that mutt mix)
And dumped them at LFSs, unlike RD, who responsibly culled them,
So trying to decide what you have from a photo, is a bit difficult, and in reality impossible.
If you know exactly which lagoon, which river, in Mexico, or Texas it came from, them you can be relatively certain of species.
The carpintus pic I posted above was sold as location "Chairel", the Escondida RD showed is another true location variant, mine was from a respected aquarist, so "maybe" it's real.
I remember when another poster in this thread (new world) offered cyananoguttatus, wild caught from a specific location in Texas(if I remember right).
To me anything from a LFS that only uses common names, nd/or unless specializes in authentic species cichlids, is IMO suspect.
I know to many this may seen anal, or unimportant.
To me, it is a make or break point in acquiring a fish.

Last edited:

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
Can't thank you all enough, my Senseis. In a short time I've learned so much clear, authoritative, and important stuff on the genus.

I too am put off by the man made hybrids and of the deformed offspring, both aesthetically and morally.

... my apologies to Viktor, who is now going to be wondering what a Red Texas is.
You read my mind. I have been wondering for all the 3 years since getting "the green texas". I love all the knowledge you and everyone has been sharing, for my ignorant sake or not.

... The female, hard to say what/where she descended from, but she's sexy right? lol
I shudder. Ugly as sin... if we are being sincere here.

Looks like cyanoguttus to me, but.....for decades aquarists considered Texas, and the misnomer "green Texas" variants of each other, while in reality are totally different species, and purposefully or ignorantly allowed them to hybridize, creating aquarium strains that have inter bred for decades. (and who knows how many other Herichthys were inadvertently thrown into that mutt mix)
And dumped them at LFSs, unlike RD, who responsibly culled them,
So trying to decide what you have from a photo, is a bit difficult, and in reality impossible.
If you know exactly which lagoon, which river, in Mexico, or Texas it came from, them you can be relatively certain of species.
The carpintus pic I posted above was sold as location "Chairel", the Escondida RD showed is another true location variant, mine was from a respected aquarist, so "maybe" it's real.
I remember when another poster in this thread (new world) offered cyananoguttatus, wild caught from a specific location in Texas(if I remember right).
To me anything from a LFS that only uses common names, nd/or unless specializes in authentic species cichlids, is IMO suspect.
I know to many this may seen anal, or unimportant.
To me, it is a make or break point in acquiring a fish.
For this and other posts in this thread, I'd give you a thousand of my likes if I could. Chicx won't let me. A bureaucrat.

.....for decades aquarists considered Texas, and the misnomer "green Texas" variants of each other, while in reality are totally different species, ...
cyanoguttatus and carpintis, respectively, right?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store