Greenlipped mussel

Tobiassorensen

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 23, 2017
Sweden
As my fish grows bigger and bigger and keeps adding in numbers with my wallet and impulscontrol hates me its not economicaly doable too feed northfin as a staple diet anymore. I buys 6-7kg of pellets a month and complements with mussels, herring, alaska pollock and shrimps so ive been looking on alternatives and is thinking of starting to feed with either sturgeon pellets or greenlipped mussel and bloodwormpellets. Ive found some sellers on ebay that sells 20kg for the price of 3kg northfin pellets. Is here anybody here that has experience with greenlipped mussel pellets? Pros and cons

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
Sturgeon pellets are designed for a species of fish that utilizes far more lipids (fatty acids) than the vast majority of fish kept in captivity. They are typically very high in crude fat content, far too high for most tropical fish to consume on a regular basis. The potential end result of that type of diet will typically be oversized/obese fish, with a heavy deposition of fat in & around the organs, and a decreased lifespan.

Tobiassorensen

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 23, 2017
Sweden
Sturgeon pellets are designed for a species of fish that utilizes far more lipids (fatty acids) than the vast majority of fish kept in captivity. They are typically very high in crude fat content, far too high for most tropical fish to consume on a regular basis. The potential end result of that type of diet will typically be oversized/obese fish, with a heavy deposition of fat in & around the organs, and a decreased lifespan.

Yeah i know. Thats why im thinking of buying greenmussel pellets. But iv read somewhere they are high on omega3. But only 8% crude fat.

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
I guess that depends on the formula, they won't all be the same. Without the guaranteed analysis and ingredient list hard to say what you are referring to.

Tobiassorensen

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 23, 2017
Sweden
I guess that depends on the formula, they won't all be the same. Without the guaranteed analysis and ingredient list hard to say what you are referring to.

Well it says its for carp fish and ideal for feeding and banding.

But ive also found this.

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
As an example, take a close look at the ingredients.

First 4 ingredients listed by dry weight; wheat, corn, barley, and soy. LAST ingredient listed; green lipped mussel.

These pellets are designed for feeding to, and attracting, carp.

My experience has been that when buying feed for your animals, you typically get what you pay for.

Reactions: islandguy11

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
Well it says its for carp fish and ideal for feeding and banding.

But ive also found this.

Remember that commercial where the old lady would shout out - "Show Me The Meat!"

That's me. I don't see any ingredients listed for that formula, just a lot of talk. Talk is cheap - show me the meat!

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
LMAO, yes. Thanks!

I think I crossed show me the money, with where's the beef. Dementia is just around the corner. lol
I still havent seen that movie lol....anyhow,this thread has introduced me to another brand of food to look into.I have never seen Northfin before.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store