Greetings from the Big Apple!

hope4fish

Feeder Fish
Feb 11, 2017
Hello Fellow Fish Lovers,

I come here in desperation after researching new canister filters for my 55 gallon tank. My Penn Plax gave out last week after 9 years, and while it treated us well with no issues, I was wondering what else people were favoring.

As of now I have 3 Iridescent sharks. The oldest is Otis 26 years old bred in captivity by my friends who had all elements perfect for this to happen. Otis came with three other mates who passed in their teens.

Otis has now been the leader of his latest pack with 2 other Iridescent Sharks, Pretty Boy & Handsome - purchased from a Midtown fish store in Manhattan. They are going on 17 years.

We did have 4 Clown Loaches (Al, Peg, Kelly & Bud aka the Bundy's) who loved Otis dearly and would often sit on his fins and go for rides. LOL very funny and cute. Although 2 passed at 3 years old, Kelly & Bud passed at 8 and 9 years of age.

I also had a beautiful Pictus Catfis Mr. Speckles, who lived like a troll under his bridge, and would often slap the sharks with his long "whiskers". He would also go after my cats tail as he sat on his cat condo watching him, and my cat would often smack his nose into the glass trying to tease him.

Mr. Speckles passed last summer at the tender age of 9, he was bitten by one of the sharks during feeding and there was no saving him, injury was internal - this being a week after we lost my cat who he loved to play with. I suppose they were meant to be together.

Any tips on how to sort through the vast pages of information provided would be greatly appreciated.

I admit, I've been a long time lurker and am excited to now be a member.

As of today, I've been using my Python to siphon a few gallons daily until I get a new filter, it's starting to get old.

Sorry for the long winded post.

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
Welcome. Use the search function. But if you can't find or get an answer then post and someone will help.

Reactions: hope4fish

SantaMonicaHelp

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member

I come here in desperation after researching new canister filters for my 55 gallon tank. My Penn Plax gave out last week after 9 years, and while it treated us well with no issues, I was wondering what else people were favoring.

As of now I have 3 Iridescent sharks. The oldest is Otis 26 years old bred in captivity by my friends who had all elements perfect for this to happen. Otis came with three other mates who passed in their teens.

Otis has now been the leader of his latest pack with 2 other Iridescent Sharks, Pretty Boy & Handsome - purchased from a Midtown fish store in Manhattan. They are going on 17 years.

We did have 4 Clown Loaches (Al, Peg, Kelly & Bud aka the Bundy's) who loved Otis dearly and would often sit on his fins and go for rides. LOL very funny and cute. Although 2 passed at 3 years old, Kelly & Bud passed at 8 and 9 years of age.

I also had a beautiful Pictus Catfis Mr. Speckles, who lived like a troll under his bridge, and would often slap the sharks with his long "whiskers". He would also go after my cats tail as he sat on his cat condo watching him, and my cat would often smack his nose into the glass trying to tease him.

Mr. Speckles passed last summer at the tender age of 9, he was bitten by one of the sharks during feeding and there was no saving him, injury was internal - this being a week after we lost my cat who he loved to play with. I suppose they were meant to be together.

Any tips on how to sort through the vast pages of information provided would be greatly appreciated.

I admit, I've been a long time lurker and am excited to now be a member.

As of today, I've been using my Python to siphon a few gallons daily until I get a new filter, it's starting to get old.

Sorry for the long winded post.
Hi Hope4fish,

Welcome to the forum :)
Does Otis want to get new friends?

Zhenya

hope4fish

Feeder Fish
Feb 11, 2017
Welcome,have u noticed any growth in your I'd sharks?
Sorry for the late response. I forgot my password..

Yes, I see non stop growth.

I think the reason why they haven't grown out of the tank is because I never over feed them. I would feed them every other day. Although since the holidays, I've been feeding them once a day. One day flakes, one day beef hearts, another dried shrimp etc.

Otis lived with Clown Loaches for a long time, he loved them and they loved him. They would sit on his fins and take a ride. Very funny and entertaining.

I wish I could add color to this tank but I fear that any fish I bring in would be food at this point. Otis would be okay, but the other two sharks are scavengers, and after the accidental death of the Pictus Catfish, I fear for the safety of new commers.

I've since purchased a new Penn Plax 1000 which I'm having a bit of trouble with.

It was making a humming sound, that went away finally, but I don't feel it's cleaning the tank well. I may have too much media in it.

I'll see how it goes and make the necessary changes during the next cleaning.

I really miss the Pen Plax 1200, I cleaned it twice a year and it worked like a charm for over 10 years.

Thanks again for your responses.

Reactions: SantaMonicaHelp
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store