Group size for Paretroplus

Buphy

Dovii
MFK Member
Jun 10, 2015
Texas
As the title states, what are good group sizes for the various Paretroplus species? And what is the recommended gallonage for those groups (yes bigger the better, and we all hate those "minimum tank size" questions, so I'm asking for acceptable tank sizes).

kewpiefishypewpie

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 21, 2016
There is some great variation from Paretroplus to Paretroplus, which ones were you thinking of keeping?

I know Kieneri stay smaller, they could probably be kept in as small as a 55. But Menarambo grow huge and I'm pretty sure Duanes is going to come in here and recommend they need a kiddie pool or small pond.

Nourisatti don't get huge but can be very territorial, especially with each other. I had a pair that just randomly died, was quite a bummer.

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
I usually kept the "damba" groups in shoals of at least 6
The lamena group usually killed each other after a while, I believe I probably didn't have enough flow for these rapids dwelling type, in my 150 gallon way too small.
My 150always became too small for menerambo and maculatus, when the menerambo hit over 12", and the maculatus 10". I had better luck when I moved them to a 400 gal kiddy pool.
Kieneri were the only ones that did well in a tank as small as 150 gallons.

kieneri above, maculatus below

lamena spawning above, menerambo below

Buphy

Dovii
MFK Member
Jun 10, 2015
Texas
Thanks for the responses guys. It's purely research right now, as I only have 125 gallons and I don't believe they are large enough. Would love to do some kind of 300 gallon (8x2.5x2) Madagascar biotope some day... anyways, just research into these fish right now.

kewpiefishypewpie

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 21, 2016
I'm in the same boat man, hoping to do a Madagascan biotope someday as well. I've got some Polleni and Pytchochromis Oligacanthus growing on now. Had 4 Kieneri but the one decided he wanted the other three dead.

Have you found a good online vendor? Davesfish.com and aquabid.com are my go to's for Madagascan cichlids.

ciclasoman

Piranha
MFK Member
Apr 5, 2007
San Antonio, texas
Experience with the species varies so much that there are no hard rules. However, proper volume is required for large fish. I keep large groups in 200 gallons and up. Key is large groups. All Malagasy cichlids temper aggression in a crowd. I have managed to have 2 lamena die in 350 gallons but live in peace when I housed 20 in 135 gallons.
Good luck

Reactions: kewpiefishypewpie

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
If you've got only a 125, Ptychochromis are a good starter Madagascan.
The first Madagascan to spawn for me, was Pty oligacanthus way back in the early 90s, and later only a few years ago Pty sp. tarantsy.
They were good parents that seldom ate eggs and and are slow growing and none-aggressive enough for only 100+ gal tanks.

above, Pty oligacanthus with fry, below Pty sp. tarantsy

Reactions: kewpiefishypewpie

kewpiefishypewpie

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 21, 2016
One of my Ptychochromis has furiously been guarding one corner of the tank he's living in. There are two others with him, notably smaller. I don't see any eggs though, he's just guarding right where the filtered water returns back to the tank. Probably pre-spawning behavior? Sorry about the derail OP, that's awesome that daves is so close to you he's awesome.

Buphy

Dovii
MFK Member
Jun 10, 2015
Texas
All good, some how many common species of ptychochrimis species are there? New name to me so I'll use this opportunity to find out more =P what's the general size they get?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store