Hendre

Bawitius
Staff member
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2016
South Africa
I'm receiving all of this, idk if there'll be space for algae
1c228daa8d3e15e48c8d9b7f76137e5c.jpg
I've also considered growing some algae on rocks for 200l tank. Don't have anything in there except my pair of kribs and Sparky my Mystery snail. I think it will help him as he eats a lot and I can hardly keep up. I think it will help to give the tank a much more natural look.
Don't come and steal my thunder here as well wena! :p

Reactions: GamerChick5567

Hendre

Bawitius
Staff member
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2016
South Africa
Wow that is a lot of plants, what types do you have hiding in those buckets. If not mistaken I see some Amazon Swords and java fern, I could be wrong

Oh come on Hendre I'm not stealing your thunder I'm enhancing it, lol.
Crypts, ferns, bolbitis and some other stuffs.

Sshhhhh

Algae can grow on plants. There's always room for algae. If you don't think so just increase your photoperiod and you'll find out firsthand. ;)
Oh I know

markstrimaran

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Nov 21, 2015
iowa
20170708_062955.jpg
Long hair turf, algea. Needs mowed every couple of weeks. It will get several feet long.
Fifty 2" mbuna african cichilds, will mow it if not feed. Vacation for a week, came home and it was nicely groomed.

The lighter green," in center, " algea is a different variety. I just added.

I use a marine coral rated LED, its programable, currently only on full power for about an hour , then about 35% for 12 hours.

50/50 coral sun only turned on every other day.

Grinch

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Apr 23, 2014
NJ
Freshwater "red" algae is what you are interested in, I think. "Red" is a bit of a misnomer with respect to the freshwater varieties, it can be red, blue, green, brown, grey, pink, etc. It grows well in high light tanks with lots of aeration... that fits what we have in our fish room and consequently, we have lots of this around the room. It mainly grows in our shallow and well-lit tanks.

Why does high light and lots of aeration cause this algae to grow? It's not so much "cause" it to grow as it is "providing the correct conditions" for it to grow. FW reds (Rhodophyta) are typically found in shallow and fast flowing waters (high light, low CO2 ;)), are fairly slow growers compared to other types of algae in the fish tank (exceptions exist!), like fairly stable water parameters (whereas "brown" algae does well with unstable water parameters in the fish tank), prefer a slightly acidic pH, and are epiphytic (they need a substrate/surface to grow on; the more stable the substrate is relative to the light source, the better).

Last edited:

markstrimaran

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Nov 21, 2015
iowa
Red algea, grows best in areas of moving water in my tank. On the glass or hard plastic were the spray bar discharge is.
My stuff is a short strand beard algea, my fish love the stuff. It does not compete well against the green stuff.
I used to have an almost marine looking purple/red type on my back drop. That gave way to the long strand turf algea. Which is very touph and well attached to were it is growing.
The red/purple only noticeable grows on the clean front glass, between cleanings.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store