Growing non-epiphite as epiphite

tiger15

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Oct 1, 2012
SNJ
Has anyone successfully done that. I have a cichlid planted tank. Currently, I only grow tough epiphites such as Java fern, African fern, Anubias and Buce attached to rock. I cant grow substrate plants because my large cichlid will dig them up. But I want to expand my plant choices. I know many floating plants can be tied to rock, but they tend to be soft tissue type that cannot take abuse from cichlid. How about Amazon sword, Crypto, Ludwigian or other tough leaf species. Can any work?

Last edited:

BIG-G

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Dec 12, 2005
NC
Swords ars root feeders so I doubt they would make it long. Crypts are also.
I have had some luck growing lobelia cardinal plant attached to driftwood but I don't know how it would stand up to abuse.
Hornwort grows floating but it's a mess if it gets shredded

J. H.

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Oct 14, 2016
My spiral vals are happy growing on rocks. Coontail, water milfoil, or whatever you call that stuff, is tough, grows fast, will grow in substrate, floating or on rocks. You can't get it at your lfs, but it should be easy to find at a lake. Also, if you are willing to go partially submerged, you will have a lot more options.

tiger15

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Oct 1, 2012
SNJ
My spiral vals are happy growing on rocks. Coontail, water milfoil, or whatever you call that stuff, is tough, grows fast, will grow in substrate, floating or on rocks. You can't get it at your lfs, but it should be easy to find at a lake. Also, if you are willing to go partially submerged, you will have a lot more options.
Val's are pretty tough plant. How do you attach it to rock?

J. H.

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Oct 14, 2016
Val's are pretty tough plant. How do you attach it to rock?
My little sister got this kit for making bracelets from mini rubber bands that she doesn't use, so I strap a val to a pebble with one of the rubber bands and put it where I want it.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store