Growth rate of clouded archerfish?

DrownedFishonFire

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Nov 2, 2008
F FireMedic

My group ingores anything that starts to sink thats not floating yet. Will try the dusk/dawn approach and will hit up bait shop for wax worms and spikes thanks forgot about those!

Already have no lights working on this group due to them being so skittish when first got them in 2 banging on glass hard enough to get their lips red. I have noticed if one is being so skittish others follow... if others are being calm others stay calm.

Reactions: amazontank

amazontank

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Nov 14, 2010
Miami and San Diego
www.Facebook.com
amazontank amazontank I got mine from wetspot at end of January and they have increased in size already in few weeks span. I can see them hitting 5" in a year easily if not by fall
That's awesome news!
I know they won't get as big as regular Archers. I never knew they were skittish. I planned on putting them in with a jumbo pair of bgk's and Irwini cats so I'm starting to wonder if they will not like the night activity.

Reactions: DrownedFishonFire

DrownedFishonFire

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Nov 2, 2008
amazontank amazontank

Theyre not that skittish like when I first got them in though. Still too early for me to write them off as a very skittish species. 2 of them are more "intelligent" vs the rest of the group. They get the food first and dont care if I am there. They are slightly bigger more silvery vs black.

And I have noticed with the ones with most dark black spots. If there is something off like temperature, water parameters: they went mostly dark blending in with the black background. They dont like any slight rise in nitrates maybe because I have 8 of them in a 40g until I move them up into a 112g tank.

FireMedic

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Dec 13, 2007
Middle of somewhere, Oulu Wisconsin
Just thinking out loud here:
play to the fishes senses a little............drop the water level just a little enough to allow you to be able to "throw" the pellets in with enough force to cause a little splashing. Throw one or two pellets at a time.
Thaw one or two cubes of bloodworms, get a small turkey baster, use the baster to randomly drip the worms into the tank when you offer the pellets.
One last out loud thought, thaw a few cubes of beef heart and/or bloodworms, let your pellets baste in the same water as the thawed cubes for a minute or two, then serve.

FireMedic

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Dec 13, 2007
Middle of somewhere, Oulu Wisconsin
Just thinking out loud here:
play to the fishes senses a little............drop the water level just a little enough to allow you to be able to "throw" the pellets in with enough force to cause a little splashing. Throw one or two pellets at a time.
Thaw one or two cubes of bloodworms, get a small turkey baster, use the baster to randomly drip the worms into the tank when you offer the pellets.
One last out loud thought, thaw a few cubes of beef heart and/or bloodworms, let your pellets baste in the same water as the thawed cubes for a minute or two, then serve.
Also here is s shout out to Forest Lake Pets in Forest Lake MN: they were the source of my Blythii.......the place is incredible.

DrownedFishonFire

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Nov 2, 2008
Update:

Since moving them into the 112g Theyre now offically eating flake, wafers and pellet of assorted food and 2 of is even hitting hikari sinking wafers hard like its their favorite food. All seem to like bug bites for their main food and will compete with the bruisers of this tank the barbs for their favorite morsels. Flake food seems to be so/so meh for them they will wait for their 2nd option as I feed two different food every feeding as flake is first to get the barbs busy as the Barbs are pushovers with food. 2nd food option is mostly Due to attempting to beef up the tiny clown loach batch in there thats smaller than the 1st batch in the 75g as an mini experiment.

Only have 6 left before i decided to move them into the 112g due to the pandemic and unknown hours if I will be returning home from work. 2 is more aggressive towards others and keeps the others away from certain feeding zones. If it continues will move one or two of them to 75g tank. Will see how it goes.

One of the 6 is noticeably the smallest. Hiding far end under the floating plants and is the last one to be coming out to feed.

Reactions: tlindsey

jackroom1995

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 16, 2020
If you don't mind me asking, where did you find them and how much did they cost you? From my understanding they're pretty rare, and I would love more info on where to source them if you can offer it.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store