Gt

Justinkingcichlid

Black Skirt Tetra
MFK Member
Feb 20, 2019
What Color gravel and background should I use for my gt tank, so that the Gts color will stand out more?

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
I agree with MrsE88, if you want these cichlids to show their best color, a bright or white substrate is not the way to go, most cichlids will instinctual match the substrate as a protection measure, so their colors will naturally wash out if the substrate is white, bright, or reflective.

Reactions: neutrino and MrsE88

neutrino

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jan 22, 2013
Mid-Atlantic, US
MrsE88 MrsE88 -- gorgeous tank. Great example that sometimes less is more. ?

Reactions: MrsE88

mabirchell

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Oct 22, 2012
East Texas
Completely a personal choice. I prefer the natural sand colors vs the dark. The dark will make the fish darker yes but I feel the lighter substrate brings out the blues and greens better because the base color for the fish isn’t as dark as they can go. Just a personal preference though, go with what you will make you happy. The fish probably don’t care either way.

Justinkingcichlid

Black Skirt Tetra
MFK Member
Feb 20, 2019
I mean my
How is the puffer with the rivulatus?? My rivulatus are around 2.5” right now so I’m good with my bleeding heart tetras but seeing the size of your male I’m a bit concerned haha ?.
my gt was the smallest and most peaceful of three that I had to begin with. I also saved him from a severe parasite infection. He’s currently not that aggressive although he’s in the tank with other cichlids that can check him if needed. I would avoid any fish that can fit in his mouth cuz he will swoop by and swallow them in seconds.

Reactions: mabirchell
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store