Guadalupe, redeye coosa and chattahoochee bass

Spikes92

Exodon
MFK Member
Feb 5, 2021
Texas
Will you ever be in west texas I could show you my fishing spot
Itll be next year but that would be awesome if your ok with it. I recently used all my vacation to go catch some true texas cichlids but managed to catch little bit of everything except them lol luckily found a breeder tho . Got a thread going on them as well havent been able to update it in a bit there very slow growers

Reactions: Jim bean 20055

The Masked Shadow

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jul 19, 2020
Southern California (San Diego)
I would just like to add this to this thread:

I am looking for Shadow Bass. Here is their range:

If anyone can catch one for me, I can pay for shipping, and 20 bucks for an individual.

Here is what they look like:

edit: **Not to be confused with Rock Bass**

Jim bean 20055

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Nov 30, 2020
IMG_6163.jpg
I caught this guy last ssummer and took him home since my pond had away too many goldfish in comparison to koi fish. The goldfish in the pond were pretty big so we weren't really expecting him to eat any but it was worth a try. About a couple of weeks later I had ordered the bait of the month or something like that and my dad playfully said see if you could catch him. On my first cast, I caught him with a crankbait. I put him back after freaking out as I wasn't expecting anything. About 1 or 2 months later my dad and I noticed a scale was missing from some of the koi, so we decided I was gonna try to catch him. The bait of the month had come with some crawdad-looking sink baits (i think that's what they are called). So I did the motion up and down to make it look like it would rest then it would try to get away. I got so many bites, but at the time I had caught him with a circle hook so I didn't know how to set the hook. I watched a couple of videos and I was ready the next day. I told my brother playfully I was gonna catch the bass and he came to watch me. After a couple of casts I got a bite. I set the hook and had caught him. My brother rushed to my dad while I secured him in a bucket. The place where I fish is like 2 minutes from our house so it wasn't gonna be that bad for the bass. We went to the canal and took some cool pictures before releasing him. His name was Striker. We said our goodbyes and I released him. (sorry for bad grammar or anything like that lol). Btw I'm not too sure if this is a Guadalupe bass, but they are found in El Paso I believe.
Edit: we had to take him out bc he ran out of small goldfish to eat. After we had him he had grown like 3 inches and almost didn't fit in the bucket.

Spikes92

Exodon
MFK Member
Feb 5, 2021
Texas
View attachment 1457280
I caught this guy last ssummer and took him home since my pond had away too many goldfish in comparison to koi fish. The goldfish in the pond were pretty big so we weren't really expecting him to eat any but it was worth a try. About a couple of weeks later I had ordered the bait of the month or something like that and my dad playfully said see if you could catch him. On my first cast, I caught him with a crankbait. I put him back after freaking out as I wasn't expecting anything. About 1 or 2 months later my dad and I noticed a scale was missing from some of the koi, so we decided I was gonna try to catch him. The bait of the month had come with some crawdad-looking sink baits (i think that's what they are called). So I did the motion up and down to make it look like it would rest then it would try to get away. I got so many bites, but at the time I had caught him with a circle hook so I didn't know how to set the hook. I watched a couple of videos and I was ready the next day. I told my brother playfully I was gonna catch the bass and he came to watch me. After a couple of casts I got a bite. I set the hook and had caught him. My brother rushed to my dad while I secured him in a bucket. The place where I fish is like 2 minutes from our house so it wasn't gonna be that bad for the bass. We went to the canal and took some cool pictures before releasing him. His name was Striker. We said our goodbyes and I released him. (sorry for bad grammar or anything like that lol). Btw I'm not too sure if this is a Guadalupe bass, but they are found in El Paso I believe.
Edit: we had to take him out bc he ran out of small goldfish to eat. After we had him he had grown like 3 inches and almost didn't fit in the bucket.
That's funny got fat off goldfish. Just remember that deficiency that can happen from goldfish , I never remember what its called. I always take a bucket and a sterilite tote now with couple battery powered aerators never know what you'll catch. A while back around this time in the a.m I caught a 2ft flathead on a black salty goldfish on the top of the water with a size 8 circle hook. It had barely smacked the surface and I seen a big ole mouth break the surface was weird had my headlights shining at the lake because I was gonna load up take one last cast before I went home ended up with that was crazy kinda like a topwater blowup from a bass and a 2ft blue both are still in my farm pond . I cant tell for sure I dont think it's a guadalupe could be wrong tho still a beautiful fish regardless. I'm a redneck buddy lol unless I completely cant tell what someone's saying I'm the last person who will correct grammar

Reactions: Jim bean 20055

Cich Mind

Dovii
MFK Member
Feb 28, 2021
Michigan
Hello Spikes92 Spikes92 ,
I know Texas has Florida strain Largemouth, Spotted Bass and Guadalupe if that floats your boat. I have seen them in a few aquariums and they look great. It would be easy to catch these fishing for them. The Spots get smaller than the Largemouth. To get a smaller bass you would have to use smaller bait and lures. Maybe a bobber and a night crawler, although you may be culling Bluegill and Sunfish at the same time. I have fished for Bass for years and have caught some tiny ones that were small enough to keep in a decent sized tank. Just an idea. GL

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store