Gunk on HOB filter

skjl47

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
May 16, 2011
Tennessee
My HOB filter on my 29G had sludge oozing out. Last water/filter change I cleaned it off. I know about BB, however the filter unit has a honey comb like insert said to host the BB.

The filter was full of gunk and the intake tube also. Water flow, greatly improved after this.
Hello; This happens to my HOB filters over time so in that sense is a common thing. I do have some ideas about the "sludge".
First about the honeycomb insert. My take is the bb do not know that is where they are supposed to grow and will colonize many other places as well. I think the surfaces of tubes and filter bodies are going to be prime locations. While I am sure some bb are on the honey comb, I bet some are other places.
That said, the tubes and filter bodies do get clogged. I clean them myself. I figure to lose some BB colonies in that process but it needs doing. I try to do such in stages and try to not scrub away the final film which I have come to understand is the film of the bb colonies.

I keep the sponge bases off sponge filters in the back of my HOB's all the time. When I do clean a HOB I leave these in the tank in the hope they will have some bb to help keep things going. I also figure other surfaces to have bb aswell.

nzafi

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Mar 14, 2008
USA
Doesn't seem like you have a question. If you are asking if this is common, yes it is. All filters fill up with gunk over time and you need to clean them. This occurs in both cannisters and HOB. Due to the open nature of HOB, it is much more visible. Folks tend to do a full breakdown and clean of their filters every 6-12months.

Reactions: Kris P Bacon

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
Bio filters need cleaning just like mechanical media does.
If you let too much gunk build up, it can actually smother the beneficial bacteria you are trying to cultivate.
Whenever I do a water change I squeeze, rinse out the mechanical and biomedia in old tank water, until just a thin film is left,
Also brush out the inside of intake tubes and the compartment, especially where the pump impeller rides, this kind of cleaning can greatly extend the life of your filters impeller.

erpethoichthys

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 11, 2018
Doesn't seem like you have a question. If you are asking if this is common, yes it is. All filters fill up with gunk over time and you need to clean them. This occurs in both cannisters and HOB. Due to the open nature of HOB, it is much more visible. Folks tend to do a full breakdown and clean of their filters every 6-12months.
Thanks this has been helpful.

Reactions: tlindsey
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store