Guppy Line Breeding Project Log

FriedFlowerHornFillet

Piranha
MFK Member
Aug 26, 2014
Toledo Ohio
Christmas lights pretty much. There's a scientist that rigged his elephant nose to his Christmas tree with pretty sweet results. A ghost knife might work as well -they're almost always "electric" My cat however sets a charge off maybe 3 times a week tops without encouragement.

Hendre

Bawitius
Staff member
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2016
South Africa
Christmas lights pretty much. There's a scientist that rigged his elephant nose to his Christmas tree with pretty sweet results. A ghost knife might work as well -they're almost always "electric" My cat however sets a charge off maybe 3 times a week tops without encouragement.
I'm tempted to try this with my African Knives, although they seem to be more visual predators

cockroach

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jul 28, 2005
Taiwan
The Pretoria Zoo aquarium section had a huge electric eel with a lit up volt meter that also played a higher pitched sound as it increased. Was cool for about 10 mins then wouldn't stop.

Each tank is 7.2gal. Am looking around fro anything that can fit into that first.

J. H.

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Oct 14, 2016
I found that scientist with the elephant fish, the fish is not powering the lights but controlling them, via some kind of pickups and an amplifier. It is still cool, but not as exciting as it sounds at first. The eel has many times the power, but may not be truly powering the lights either.

alecrromine

Candiru
MFK Member
May 27, 2015
Kentucky
I found that scientist with the elephant fish, the fish is not powering the lights but controlling them, via some kind of pickups and an amplifier. It is still cool, but not as exciting as it sounds at first. The eel has many times the power, but may not be truly powering the lights either.
probably done with mosfet transistors. the same way the touch lamps work

Reactions: cockroach

FriedFlowerHornFillet

Piranha
MFK Member
Aug 26, 2014
Toledo Ohio
I think a leaf fish is probably the predator you're looking for. They're inexpensive and not too hard to find, small but have huge appetites and they're also ambush predators so tank size isn't too much of an issue.

Reactions: cockroach

cockroach

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jul 28, 2005
Taiwan
I think a leaf fish is probably the predator you're looking for. They're inexpensive and not too hard to find, small but have huge appetites and they're also ambush predators so tank size isn't too much of an issue.
I must say, I have always liked the look of them.

Perhaps adding a water lettuce with other decor like wood to hide around will help settle it in a smaller tank?

They are available here and not badly priced either.

cockroach

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jul 28, 2005
Taiwan
The pump finally arrived. Cost about $87.42 including shipping.
DSC_0274.JPG

Made in China I expected it to be all plastic.
DSC_0275.JPG DSC_0276.JPG

But, I was happy to discover the quality better than I expected. I solid metal casing.
DSC_0277.JPG

And a roll of duct tape for size reference.
DSC_0278.JPG

It seems to work well although a tad loud. I will have to build a box that suppresses some of the noise. It is rated at 47 L/min or 12.42 gal/min.

Hendre

Bawitius
Staff member
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2016
South Africa
A bush fish is far too big for those tanks. Maybe it's better to clove oil the culls

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store