Guppy Line Breeding Project Log

imabot

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jun 8, 2017
Morbid question but; did you ever have to clear out the dead fish from the pond?

Edit: another one that came to mind: what plants do you have in the pots in the aquariums?

cockroach

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jul 28, 2005
Taiwan
Yeah some
Morbid question but; did you ever have to clear out the dead fish from the pond?

Edit: another one that came to mind: what plants do you have in the pots in the aquariums?
Yeah, some of the big ones had to but the ponds are pretty much left alone. I wanted the strongest fish to survive so that if the were put into our tanks for line breeding they would be tough as nails.

The plants are a mix. Each pot holds one kind. normal vallis, curly vallis, cryptocoryne, water sprite, and another I can't remember the name of.
In tank there is anubias, hornwort, java fern and recently added guppy grass.

cockroach

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jul 28, 2005
Taiwan
Some pics from this morning:
The Ginga Rubra Gang. There are three tail types: veil, double sword, bottom sword.
DSC00509.JPG
DSC00516.JPG
DSC00520.JPG
DSC00522.JPG DSC00527.JPG

Rainbow Ring:
DSC00504.JPG

The Snakeskin Syndicate:
The Cheiftan
DSC00507.JPG
His Successors
DSC00513.JPG DSC00543.JPG
DSC00546.JPG

The Endler Type Tribe:
DSC00518.JPG DSC00519.JPG
The champ (for now):
DSC00525.JPG DSC00552.JPG

The mixed Half Black Bandits:
DSC00529.JPG DSC00538.JPG

I am interested to see how this male turns out. He is in the male growout tank with about 10 other mixed males. Hoping it is another ginga rubra delta tail.
DSC00540.JPG

Up to this point I have removed all babies and put them into a baby nursery as I don't know who daddy may be from the ponds. The babies born from now on will be left in each tank and only removed when I can see what sex and "type" they are.
These will be grown out and selected for breeding or give aways.

cockroach

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jul 28, 2005
Taiwan
Now that all the fish are in their tanks and the groups have been sorted. I have no need to add anymore or move any around.
The pic below shows which guppies are in which tank.

The codes I have been using are:
GR - Ginga Rubra
SS - Snakeskin
ET - Endler Type
MC - Multicolor
BB - Blue Bandit (Unknown strain)
DS - Double Sword
DT - Delta Tail
DSB - Double Sword Blue
BS - Bottom Sword
B - Blonde
AB - Asian Blau (Assumed genetics)
Tank Layout.jpg

The fry grow out is for the fry that were born in the 6 weeks after the guppies were placed in the tanks. The parentage is unknown so we will grow them and see what they are.
The fry born from yesterday onward, will be left in the tank with the parents. We have added a lot more cover for the fry to hide and we already have around 20 fry in the different tanks.

The females are young and are not yet dropping a lot of fry. the biggest female we have only dropped 8-10 babies. This is increasing with every drop as the females mature and grow.

Reactions: Jmahn

cockroach

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jul 28, 2005
Taiwan
A rough video we made of 4 of the tanks.
Babies are now starting be born at an alarming rate. We have over 65 fry swimming around.

Reactions: Jmahn

cockroach

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jul 28, 2005
Taiwan
Some pics form this morning:
The yellow snakeskin male. a bit washed out by the light.
DSC01030.JPG
Ginga rubra males bred for more blue
DSC01036.JPG
Blond snakeskins are finally getting to breeding size.
DSC01047.JPG

the original snakeskin daddyDSC01063.JPG
yellow snakeskin grow out
DSC01065.JPG
Endler type double sword
DSC01076.JPG DSC01078.JPG
Ginga rubra colony bred for more blue. Although it's hard to see in the pics.
DSC01096.JPG

Reactions: BigShawn and Jmahn

Kittiee Katt

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Aug 1, 2015
My House!
I really like the multicoloured male in the second last pic, he's quite beautiful. If you could somehow breed him and get similar ones with a little more blue that would be really cool as I think they'd be even prettier. :)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store