Guys, I need a help to identify my Aro (Scleropages formosus)

MariaS

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Apr 13, 2015
South Africa
Be it what it may be... she is still a beautiful fish

As long as you love her, give her time and she will become more beautiful as she gets older and matures..

dizzytone

Feeder Fish
Mar 21, 2018
its a xb alright ... maybe not a hi quality one but still a xb to me ;)
This is definitely not an XB, and if this is an XB to you I have plenty of XBs to sell you for good prices.

OP, from my personal experience (and talking to people working at arowana farms), lots of “fake” XBs and SRs are prevalent on the market as cheap aros.

Banjar Reds are usually Green X Super Red, the babies of these guys look a lot like regular SRs ( full red tails) as young fish but takes on the more classic Banjar colouring as they age.

Your fish looks like it was most likely crossed between a Green and XB/RTG/HBRTG. Same as the Banjar, the babies of these guys generally look like XBs as young fish. You can see the influence those have on your fishes genetics, his tail has taken on the dark dorsal fin much like regular golds. He may of looked more like an XB when he was younger, but I hate to break it to you that he’s not a 100% XB. Still a beautiful fish regardless, you don’t see this hybrid as much as the Banjars, but I don’t think he will ever achieve the golden tone you are looking for.

azura

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Mar 16, 2011
Aros World
This is definitely not an XB, and if this is an XB to you I have plenty of XBs to sell you for good prices.

OP, from my personal experience (and talking to people working at arowana farms), lots of “fake” XBs and SRs are prevalent on the market as cheap aros.

Banjar Reds are usually Green X Super Red, the babies of these guys look a lot like regular SRs ( full red tails) as young fish but takes on the more classic Banjar colouring as they age.

Your fish looks like it was most likely crossed between a Green and XB/RTG/HBRTG. Same as the Banjar, the babies of these guys generally look like XBs as young fish. You can see the influence those have on your fishes genetics, his tail has taken on the dark dorsal fin much like regular golds. He may of looked more like an XB when he was younger, but I hate to break it to you that he’s not a 100% XB. Still a beautiful fish regardless, you don’t see this hybrid as much as the Banjars, but I don’t think he will ever achieve the golden tone you are looking for.
oh so you are an expert ... banjar = green x red .... so banjar is a hybrid ......
get real man .... so funny

dizzytone

Feeder Fish
Mar 21, 2018
It’s common knowledge that the term Banjar is used interchangeably with 1.5 Red (SRs crossed with Greens)

Unless this is news to you, I’m not sure why you’re nitpicking that.

azura

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Mar 16, 2011
Aros World
It’s common knowledge that the term Banjar is used interchangeably with 1.5 Red (SRs crossed with Greens)

Unless this is news to you, I’m not sure why you’re nitpicking that.
so 1.5 red is the same to banjar ?

i just find it very absurdly funny ... thats all

btw if banjar is a hybrid between a super red with green ....
then how come theres no banjar that inherit the special super red traits ? the red rings or red colored gill plates , bright shine scales etc etc
maybe not all but some of it must have inherited it ?
why it called banjar red then which is entirely different sub species than super red

dizzytone

Feeder Fish
Mar 21, 2018
Banjar is indeed a species, 1.5 Red is a Hybrid, and from what I see, both are sold interchangeably by the same names.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store