Gymnothorax tile behaviour?

NimbleEel

Feeder Fish
Dec 20, 2010
OR
i've never experienced any negative behaviors with my eel and upon the time of purchase I wouldn't have considered myself an expert aquarium hobbiest. i just did some research and listened to the seller who often helps me out in my nautical pets. heres what i've been advised to do and so far have had no issues

you mention your tank might be too small. how small is too small? i had mine in a 10 gal for a couple weeks (with no light and a great hiding cave) until i could transfer it to its 30 gal tank (the eel is still small).

light: eels are light sensitive, i recommend a blue light, the type that emulates the moon light. with that, also add some strips of solid black tank back drop paper to provide a filter for the light under the light hood so its not so harsh. fake empty rock caves that are used for reptiles works wonders for the eel. I primarily use these because some of these formations you can purchase blocks out all light so the eel can feel safer.

placement of the aquarium: like alot of fish, they startle easily. perhaps if you have your aquarium in a quiet room of your home away from distracting lights and lots of people traffic, the eel can better adjust. one the eel adjusts, it can't wait to see you and hear your voice, it'll start swimming all over the place any time of day.

water type: i use 2 tabelspoons of marine salt per gallon of water. the ph is roughly 8.4 and the temp i keep it at is at 86 degrees.

by nature, the eel is a night hunter that ambushes its prey. you can try a variety of other food choices, your guppies and ghost shrimp are a great start, but since they've been in that tank for a while your eel probably lost its scent. try frozen mysis shrimp and grab a few new ghost shrimp from your local petshop. eels are practically blind, so it may not appear to be eating because it may not be able to track anything right now since a foreign smell hasn't been introduced. once you get that guy eating, it'll eat anything. even shrimp pellets.

i really hope this was helpful and hope i wasn't rehashing what you already knew

Gucci

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jul 26, 2007
Germany
i have a G. tile for about 6 months now. its around 60cm and eats like a pig (every 2or 3 days). She is in freshwater, without problems. Before i got her she lived in a ray tank at the lfs for about one year.

Exp

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Aug 12, 2018
i have a G. tile for about 6 months now. its around 60cm and eats like a pig (every 2or 3 days). She is in freshwater, without problems. Before i got her she lived in a ray tank at the lfs for about one year.
Mine isnt eating at all 2 days have passed tried shrimp fish /cooked chicken (i tried snakehead meat??? Should i try other fish

Gucci

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jul 26, 2007
Germany
Mine isnt eating at all 2 days have passed tried shrimp fish /cooked chicken (i tried snakehead meat??? Should i try other fish
Oooold thread i had to put mine in a brakish tank. Means, i was wrong. They can not live in fresh water for life. 2 days is nothing. Sometimes they dont eat for months when put in a new tank. Dont worry bro.

Reactions: tlindsey
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store