Gyrinocheilus aymonieri - Chinese Algae Eater

Rafini

Piranha
MFK Member
Jun 28, 2012
Calgary, Canada
beautiful specimen!

Often minsunderstood and underrated fish.
Sure they are terrible community fish.
But for $2.00 a pop a fully grown group of these can be a very interesting group of bottom dwellers.

I read that they have a similar heirarchy system to Loaches and will have a definitive pecking order.

Leo1234

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jul 26, 2013
California
I love mine so much. Mine are almost never aggressive, though this might be because they are in a 150 gallon. I have 2 chinese algae eaters with garra gotyla, Crossocheilus reticulatus, Crossocheilus latius, T Barb, many different barbs, and some other fish and they occasionally chase, but never anything serious. Mine are 4in and 6in. I actually use them as a way to tell if a fish is sick because they only go after the slime coats of sick fish. When they start doing that I know to separate the fish and treat them in a separate aquarium.

Having multiple similar fish and many hiding spots is probably what makes them less aggressive.

I think the reasons people have issues keeping them is that they are not in a stream-like aquarium, less oxygen, small aquariums, not enough meaty food as an adult, or just the individual they have is aggressive.

I'm actually looking for some more to eventually add. Unfortunatly I can't add anything under 2in as some of my fish might try and eat them. I hope to get 1 or 2 golden ones and 1-2 piebald chinese algae eaters and some more natural forms too.

Last edited:
Reactions: GamerChick5567
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store